Crysis 2 DX11 Ultra package!

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I can't believe no one has posted this yet, but Crytek is getting ready to release both the DX11 patch, a long with a high rez texture upgrade! :thumbsup:

I knew they would have to do the latter, because it just made sense.. :D

Although it looks as though you'll need the 64 bit version of Windows to use the texture upgrade, a long with at least 1GB of VRAM.

dx11_tessellation2r721.gif

dx11_tessellation3b7vz.gif

dx11_tessellation1n7md.gif

ssr1d784.gif

ao1_ssdo97ab.gif

dx11_pom2i7e0.gif

Crysis 2 DX11 Ultra

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
YES.

The patch update is significant. This is 1.9. With all the massive upgrades, it will probably take another patch to iron everything out and C2 v2.0 will be what we originally wanted.

• Added Contact Shadows
• Added DX11 benchmark level
• Added DX11 support for Crysis 2 (the following features only work when downloading the optional DX11 package here):
• - Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• - High Quality HDR Motion Blur
• - Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
• - Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
• - Parallax Occlusion Mapping
• - Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
• - Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• Added Realtime Local Reflections
• Added support for Higher Res Textures Package
• Added various new console variables to whitelist
• Fixed bullet penetration, which had been broken by a bug introduced with the DLC 2 patch
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats weren't always saved at the end of a game
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats would sometimes randomly reset
• Fixed issue with MP time played statistic, which would sometimes be too low on leaderboards and in stats
• Fixed issue with JAW rocket not firing through window's containing broken glass
• Fixed rare issue where a user could not access MP with a valid CD key if they had previously used an invalid CD key
• Improved advanced graphics options menu
• Improved anti-cheat measurements: fixed exploit which could prevent vote kicking working against a user
• Improved multi-GPU support
• Improved Tone Mapping
• Re-added possibility to enable r_StereoSupportAMD via config file (unsupported

I think this actually adds to Crytek's credibility. With Crysis 1, it seemed that graphics came first and gameplay second. By working on the 'game' first with Crysis 2, and waiting until the gameplay was ironed out to focus on 'non-critical' graphics features, I think it shows that they have their priorities straight.

(in other news, they already have leaked that Time Splitters 4 will be a launch titled for xbox720).

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
So just what kind of horsepower do you need to run this thing in all its glory?

You'll need at least 1GB of VRAM and a 64 bit OS for the high rez texture pack, and of course a DX11 class video card for the DX11 features.

I'm betting that a Core i7 and one (or preferably two depending on your rez) of the high end Fermi GPUs should be enough to max this out.

Last edited:

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
So just what kind of horsepower do you need to run this thing in all its glory?

All the dx 11 additions are gpu features that don't depend on the cpu. Dx 11 is slightly faster the Dx 10 and this game is better optimized then the original Crysis so I expect it will have similar demands. Something like 2 radeon 5850s (which I have hehe) should be cutting it close for maxing it out.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Good news. I already beat it, and had a good time, but this will get me to boot it up again just to see some better textures.

Raider1284

Aug 17, 2006
What exactly made the game have consolifilous?

almost everything! Worse graphics in every aspect compared to the original minus lighting. (worse draw distance, worse textures, worse water, etc).

Horribly small FOV, the menu system was atrocious (couldnt customize any graphical settings). Should i list any more reasons why this game had serious consolittis?

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
almost everything! Worse graphics in every aspect compared to the original minus lighting. (worse draw distance, worse textures, worse water, etc).

Horribly small FOV, the menu system was atrocious (couldnt customize any graphical settings). Should i list any more reasons why this game had serious consolittis?

If you hate consoletitties, you don't want to play Duke Nukem Forever.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

Honestly, the graphics weren't 'worse' but the fact that you were in a destroyed city definitely doesn't compare to the lush jungle with sunsets, etc. So even if the graphics were technically 'better' in C2, it still wouldn't have looked as nice.

There were some bad textures, but 'bad' textures were all over Crysis 1 as well.

FOV was easily changed, and they have since fixed the menu system.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Honestly, the graphics weren't 'worse' but the fact that you were in a destroyed city definitely doesn't compare to the lush jungle with sunsets, etc. So even if the graphics were technically 'better' in C2, it still wouldn't have looked as nice.

There were some bad textures, but 'bad' textures were all over Crysis 1 as well.

FOV was easily changed, and they have since fixed the menu system.

With the dx 11 patch and the stereoscopic 3D feature the graphics are technically better then the original Crysis, but that doesn't save the game from being consolized. You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig. In this case, most people can't even put all the lipstick on the pig since they can't play in 3D.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
I might buy this game now. It actually makes use of tesselation which most games don't. I liked Crysis and Cryisis Warhead so I think Crysis 2 might be good.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
With the dx 11 patch and the stereoscopic 3D feature the graphics are technically better then the original Crysis, but that doesn't save the game from being consolized. You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig. In this case, most people can't even put all the lipstick on the pig since they can't play in 3D.

Whatever... it's all a matter of opinion. You can call it consolized, and I call it streamlined. Using powers in Crysis 2 made much more sense and felt more fluid than Crysis 1. I played Crysis 2 till the end, I stopped in Crysis 1 after a couple hours (even with mods) as it was clunky and boring.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Whatever... it's all a matter of opinion. You can call it consolized, and I call it streamlined. Using powers in Crysis 2 made much more sense and felt more fluid than Crysis 1. I played Crysis 2 till the end, I stopped in Crysis 1 after a couple hours (even with mods) as it was clunky and boring.

Call it streamlining if that makes you happy, but there's nothing wrong with making a great console game streamlined in this case with bells, whistles, and balloons. Its just not what a lot of PC gamers prefer.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Crysis 2 was awesome and yet seriously flawed. I am still super excited to play through again on a harder difficulty this time with the enhanced visuals.