Crysis 2 DX 11 confirmed.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Actually, I did already post my thoughts and gripes on the game elsewhere. I just don't think any thread, particularly one about graphics technology, requires comments about whether posters' mothers breast fed them as children.

That one was just for fun. No accounting for taste, no taste for accountants, and especially no accounting for someone's sense of humor.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Once again with the blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Get a grip fool. Your STUPID bullshit on a STUPID bulletin board about a STUPID game doesn't bother me in the least. In case it has somehow slipped your superior observational skills I don't care about being popular, I don't care about being embarrassed, and I don't care about being called names. I'm not some 8 year old kid who embarrasses easily and I'm not here to create lasting relationships.

People have been trying to discuss dx 11 for this game while you troll them. I intend to make sure they know just how full of crap you are so that maybe they can actually focus on discussing the game and ignore your bullshit. Besides, I've got nothing better to do right now then to trash an incompetent troll. Who knows, you might actually learn how to troll better.

You're delusional. I joined this thread in an attempt to talk about DX11 for this game, but it was you (and others) who think that a thread with a title "Crysis 2 DX 11 Confirmed" is an invitation to come into the thread and shit all over the game. You have been told at least once (in this thread) to "Get the fuck out". I have made numerous substantive points about the quality of this game in addition to thoughts on potential graphical improvements. Very few of those points were engaged with.

It's as if this thread is plagued with young minds who simply want to engage in some pissing match. And no, your 'breast feeding' comment wasn't funny, hence why you were just called out on it. Nearly every single post of mine (however reasonable) has been met with repeated insults on your part.

I am not the only one who has pointed out your behaviour in this thread. The worst I have been called in this thread is 'stubborn', and that point was debunked shortly. Your comments are essentially "quote post, ignore content, type 'bla blah', digress and insult". Whereas mine actually contain content. That's the difference between me and you, and that's why your insinuation that I'm a troll (lol?) is hilarious.

You're just upset because I can so deftly put you in your place. I don't blame you for being upset. You're in a position currently where your only option is to troll/insult and claim that I've made no substantive points in this thread, but the reality is that I have - and you're simply ill equipped to deal with them.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
You're delusional. I joined this thread in an attempt to talk about DX11 for this game, but it was you (and others) who think that a thread with a title "Crysis 2 DX 11 Confirmed" is an invitation to come into the thread and shit all over the game. You have been told at least once (in this thread) to "Get the fuck out". I have made numerous substantive points about the quality of this game in addition to thoughts on potential graphical improvements. Very few of those points were engaged with.

Obviously discussing dx 11 is your highest priority and that's why you spend so much time trashing other people and lying through your teeth. You're as pure as the driven snow, as intellectual as Einstein and, lest we forget, you have 2 gtx 580s. If anyone believes that crock of shit I have some excellent swamp land for sale that Disney wants.

It's as if this thread is plagued with young minds who simply want to engage in some pissing match. And no, your 'breast feeding' comment wasn't funny, hence why you were just called out on it. Nearly every single post of mine (however reasonable) has been met with repeated insults on your part.

Oh, did I hurt your feelings? Good.

I am not the only one who has pointed out your behaviour in this thread. The worst I have been called in this thread is 'stubborn', and that point was debunked shortly. Your comments are essentially "quote post, ignore content, type 'bla blah', digress and insult". Whereas mine actually contain content. That's the difference between me and you, and that's why your insinuation that I'm a troll (lol?) is hilarious.

You're just upset because I can so deftly put you in your place. I don't blame you for being upset. You're in a position currently where your only option is to troll/insult and claim that I've made no substantive points in this thread, but the reality is that I have - and you're simply ill equipped to deal with them.

Damn boy, your command of language is pathetic. I don't insinuate you are trolling, I make a very clear statement that you have been trolling. An accusation if your prefer. So much for how "deftly" you have "put me in my place". You can't even use the English language properly.

As for reality, I've been wondering how much of your crap is prompted by a low self-image and how much is just pure stupidity. You take every opportunity to express just how great you are and how superior you are to everyone else here and how obvious and self-evident it is. My guess is your low self-image has stunted your intellectual growth.

Last edited:

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Obviously discussing dx 11 is your highest priority and that's why you spend so much time trashing other people and lying through your teeth. You're as pure as the driven snow, as intellectual as Einstein and, lest we forget, you have 2 gtx 580s. If anyone believes that crock of shit I have some excellent swamp land for sale that Disney wants.

I'm quoting this for posterity. I'll take a snapshot of it with a piece of paper that says "wuliheron is a moron" and upload it to this thread. I won't be home for a few more days, so please be patient for this climax. I don't lie, and your claim that I do will be quickly set aside.

Oh, did I hurt your feelings? Good.

Your limp attempts at insults don't offend me, or hurt my feelings. Recognizing your insults as insults does not entail that I am upset by them. You're neither funny, nor witty, nor entertaining. What are you still doing in this thread?

Damn boy, your command of language is pathetic. I don't insinuate you are trolling, I make a very clear statement that you have been trolling. An accusation if your prefer. So much for how "deftly" you have "put me in my place". You can't even use the English language properly.

If 'your' prefer? Are we going to get into some English language competition now? Don't make me laugh. I used the word 'insinuate' to show just how weak your supposed claims and statements are. You have no arguments. You have no real position in this thread aside from running your mouth and attempting to insult people repeatedly. Therefore, I won't even recognize your written garbage as a 'claim'. You also make no attempt (just like in this last post of yours) to address any of the content in mine. You're seeking the last word and you view this as a pissing contest, but unfortunately you're coming up short in every respect.

As for reality, I've been wondering how much of your crap is prompted by a low self-image and how much is just pure stupidity. You take every opportunity to express just how great you are and how superior you are to everyone else here and how obvious and self-evident it is. My guess is your low self-image has stunted your intellectual growth.

Oh, you're that insecure? Where have I said that I am great (simpliciter), as opposed to referring to myself as someone who simply enjoys aspects of Crysis 2 (and some, not so much), OR (note the disjunction) someone who refers to you (as others have) as exactly what you are. Your age has been questioned, you have been told to 'get the fuck out', but you remain, as if you're making a valuable contribution to this thread. You claim that you 'don't care', yet you're obsessed with trying to escape from the corner you have put yourself in.

Audience, please bookmark this thread. I'll upload the picture on Monday after I get back home. It'll illustrate just how full of shit wuliheron is. So few people respond to your posts, by the way, that I can infer that you've made plenty of ignore lists with your inane babbling. Hope you're proud of yourself.

Until Monday.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
I'm quoting this for posterity. I'll take a snapshot of it with a piece of paper that says "wuliheron is a moron" and upload it to this thread. I won't be home for a few more days, so please be patient for this climax. I don't lie, and your claim that I do will be quickly set aside.

Doing a little photoshop work over the weekend are we. Perhaps going to a friend's house to take a picture of their computer? I'll contact the National Inquirer right away.

Your limp attempts at insults don't offend me, or hurt my feelings. Recognizing your insults as insults does not entail that I am upset by them. You're neither funny, nor witty, nor entertaining. What are you still doing in this thread?

Sadly, I wasn't trying to be funny or witty or insulting. Merely stating a fact.

If 'your' prefer? Are we going to get into some English language competition now? Don't make me laugh. I used the word 'insinuate' to show just how weak your supposed claims and statements are. You have no arguments. You have no real position in this thread aside from running your mouth and attempting to insult people repeatedly. Therefore, I won't even recognize your written garbage as a 'claim'. You also make no attempt (just like in this last post of yours) to address any of the content in mine. You're seeking the last word and you view this as a pissing contest, but unfortunately you're coming up short in every respect.

You have rambled endlessly is what you've done. I challenged you to provide proof and you refused, yet continue to ramble endlessly. So industrious and, yet, so lame.

Oh, you're that insecure? Where have I said that I am great (simpliciter), as opposed to referring to myself as someone who simply enjoys aspects of Crysis 2 (and some, not so much), OR (note the disjunction) someone who refers to you (as others have) as exactly what you are. Your age has been questioned, you have been told to 'get the fuck out', but you remain, as if you're making a valuable contribution to this thread. You claim that you 'don't care', yet you're obsessed with trying to escape from the corner you have put yourself in.

Audience, please bookmark this thread. I'll upload the picture on Monday after I get back home. It'll illustrate just how full of shit wuliheron is. So few people respond to your posts, by the way, that I can infer that you've made plenty of ignore lists with your inane babbling. Hope you're proud of yourself.

Until Monday.

Who is this "audience" you're talking to anyway? Are they the voices in your head? I'm sure they're really impressed with how much time you've wasted on someone like me. Someone so obviously unworthy of your talents and beneath your dignity.

Please people, help this man out. Say something nasty about me so he'll feel better.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
GUYS.

Please stop derailing this thread.

Readers are probably interested in Crysis 2, not your constant bickering.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Doing a little photoshop work over the weekend are we. Perhaps going to a friend's house to take a picture of their computer? I'll contact the National Inquirer right away.

So you a) accuse me of not having the hardware I claim I have, and b) say I'm going to a friend's place to take a picture of his or her (it's not 'their computer - friend's is singular, you see, so it can only be his/her in this context - so much for your amazing English skills). All of this (your worries here) are a result of your claim that I'm lying about how taxing Crysis 2 can be. Remember that. You're the one lying and talking out of your ass. Have you played the game at these settings? No? Then shut up, ignoramus.

Why don't you set some strict criteria then? Or are you designing this farce so that there's no way I can prove that I have the hardware I say I do. I thought you didn't care? Now that I can easily show you that I have the hardware I say I do, you create a structure by which you'll undermine any/all proof to the contrary of what you say. How pathetic.

Sadly, I wasn't trying to be funny or witty or insulting. Merely stating a fact.

You have stated 0 facts in this thread.

You have rambled endlessly is what you've done. I challenged you to provide proof and you refused, yet continue to ramble endlessly. So industrious and, yet, so lame.

Look back at my previous posts. You keep repeating yourself over and over but you engage none of the argumentation in them. Your failure to read is not indicative of my inability to provide proof. This is clear to pretty much everyone but you. Oh well. Enjoy your delusional state.

Who is this "audience" you're talking to anyway? Are they the voices in your head? I'm sure they're really impressed with how much time you've wasted on someone like me. Someone so obviously unworthy of your talents and beneath your dignity.

You overestimate how long it takes me to respond to your posts. It doesn't take long to quickly explain the content of yours (because there is very little aside from petty and baseless accusations and back-pedalling)

Please people, help this man out. Say something nasty about me so he'll feel better.

Are you blind? Numerous people have wondered about your age (maturity) and your reason for being in this thread, and you gloss over that acting as if people in this thread have respected your (non-existent) position?

So, I'll upload the picture on Monday. You'll be (literally) put in your place. I have the rig I say I do. I play at the settings I say I do. The fps dips appropriately as I stated. Therefore, the only one full of shit in this thread is you. You have no idea how taxing this game can be at those settings, but you run your mouth saying that I'm a liar. You're juvenile, but I'll indulge your panic laden posts with one that sets things straight once and for all. In the interim, I suggest reading my previous posts. All you're doing is ignoring the obvious points that I have made.

Your paranoia is amusing, by the way, and I'm sure it's not deliberate on your part.

Regarding the 'bickering', please note that I have made some contributions to this thread. I'm just irked when shitty posters like wuliheron run around acting as if they've done anything other than bitch, whine and insult others from the start of this thread. This thread would have been much better off without his posts - at least some of mine made contributions here.

Last edited:

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
So you a) accuse me of not having the hardware I claim I have, and b) say I'm going to a friend's place to take a picture of his or her.

I accuse you of being a bald faced liar who trolls people. This makes you entirely unreliable as a source for anything. Is that clear enough or do I have to repeat myself for the tenth time?

Why don't you set some strict criteria then? Or are you designing this farce so that there's no way I can prove that I have the hardware I say I do. I thought you didn't care? Now that I can easily show you that I have the hardware I say I do, you create a structure by which you'll undermine any/all proof to the contrary of what you say. How pathetic.

I've already set strict criteria. I've already asked you to show one single thread where I claimed Crysis 2 was a crappy game. Instead you've continued to obfuscate, insinuate, ramble, and flat out lie.

Look back at my previous posts. You keep repeating yourself over and over but you engage none of the argumentation in them. Your failure to read is not indicative of my inability to provide proof. This is clear to pretty much everyone but you. Oh well. Enjoy your delusional state.

Why should I answer a single thing you've written when you make flat out lies about anything I say and refuse to back them up?

You overestimate how long it takes me to respond to your posts. It doesn't take long to quickly explain the content of yours (because there is very little aside from petty and baseless accusations and back-pedalling)

Yeah, and you are obviously getting so much out of our "conversation".

Are you blind? Numerous people have wondered about your age (maturity) and your reason for being in this thread, and you gloss over that acting as if people in this thread have respected your (non-existent) position?

Why should I care what others think? I'm not on stage like you. I don't want applause and don't care about criticism. Like I said, this is a STUPID bulletin board about a STUPID game. Give me one good reason to care.

So, I'll upload the picture on Monday. You'll be (literally) put in your place. I have the rig I say I do. I play at the settings I say I do. The fps dips appropriately as I stated. Therefore, the only one full of shit in this thread is you. You have no idea how taxing this game can be at those settings, but you run your mouth saying that I'm a liar. You're juvenile, but I'll indulge your panic laden posts with one that sets things straight once and for all. In the interim, I suggest reading my previous posts. All you're doing is ignoring the obvious points that I have made.

Don't go out of your way for my sake. Like I said, I don't care.

Your paranoia is amusing, by the way, and I'm sure it's not deliberate on your part.

Regarding the 'bickering', please note that I have made some contributions to this thread. I'm just irked when shitty posters like wuliheron run around acting as if they've done anything other than bitch, whine and insult others from the start of this thread. This thread would have been much better off without his posts - at least some of mine made contributions here.

Climb on that pedestal! Puff that chest out! Be the MAN! (snore)

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I accuse you of being a bald faced liar who trolls people. This makes you entirely unreliable as a source for anything. Is that clear enough or do I have to repeat myself for the tenth time?

You accuse me of lying about my computer hardware. Let me refresh your memory.

You said this:

What crock of shit. Two 580s and a 2600k overclocked will eat this game for breakfast. Anyone who implies otherwise is either on serious drugs or needs to be on serious drugs.

And I can easily prove you wrong. You do not know what you are talking about. I have repeated this a number of times, to you, and you have failed every single time to face the fact that you are wrong. In order to try to undermine my fact, you say that I'm lying about my hardware. When I offer to prove that I own the hardware in question, you say that I'll either be using Photoshop (I'm laughing) or a friend's computer to lie about it.

Your accusation (without proof) does not make me an unreliable source for information. You have to prove that I'm lying, to do so. You fail at this, of course, but that's not new in this thread (your repeated failures, that is).

I've already set strict criteria. I've already asked you to show one single thread where I claimed Crysis 2 was a crappy game. Instead you've continued to obfuscate, insinuate, ramble, and flat out lie.

One single thread? How about a post:
Exactly. Crysis never had great gameplay or even a good story line. The story is little better then a horror movie where monsters just start coming out of the woodwork and the game play is little better then Doom where you just shoot everything in sight. They've completely ruined the immersion for PC gamers by turning it into a shooter on rails and consolizing it to death. Now the graphics and immersion are just as bad as the game play and story line.

So, you say that the story is not good. You said that the game play is not good. You said that the immersion is 'completely ruined for PC gamers' because it's a 'shooter on rails' & it is 'consolized to death'. Now, in addition to this, the graphics and immersion are as bad as the [game play and story line] <- which, as you can see, you said at the start of that post weren't very good.

Now, show me where I lied? Or, have you changed your mind, and suddenly Crysis 2 isn't a bad game? Or are you going to wiggle out over the difference between 'bad' and 'crappy'? (This is me laughing).

Why should I answer a single thing you've written when you make flat out lies about anything I say and refuse to back them up?

Because I haven't lied, because most of my posts do contain argumentation and proof while yours merely contain accusations (such as whether or not my mother breast fed me or not, that was a relevant one to this thread!).

Yeah, and you are obviously getting so much out of our "conversation".

This is more like a tutorial. I teach, and you either learn or (so far), don't. That's up to you. But my purpose in this thread is to stop your continual spew of garbage.

Why should I care what others think? I'm not on stage like you. I don't want applause and don't care about criticism. Like I said, this is a STUPID bulletin board about a STUPID game. Give me one good reason to care.

What does 'whether or not you care about x' have to do with the truth value of x? Hint: Nothing. You might not care about the way you are perceived, but you might want to note that nobody else in this thread has called me a liar. I'm trying to show you that your perception is flawed, because you are so desperate to be the antagonist, to bring attention onto yourself, and to make it about you at every turn.

Don't go out of your way for my sake. Like I said, I don't care.

You should care about opening your mouth and stating X, and then needing to scurry away (tail tucked appropriately) when an easy contradiction to your X is presented.

Climb on that pedestal! Puff that chest out! Be the MAN! (snore)

Your e-persona is similarly boring, but I'm aware that my posts get under your skin and it is well deserved. Your only purpose in this thread is to shit on the game, as evidenced by the quote of yours I supplied in this post. Now, if you don't care, why don't you run along and allow (so graciously) the conversation in this thread to return to a discussion of graphical improvements, requirements, DX11 implications and motivations and so forth, instead of crapping up this thread with your bullshit?

Kind regards,

Aristotelian.

Last edited:

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Are you all still talking about this game. Crysis 2 is sooooo last month...Move on to bigger, better things like The Sims Medieval. Plus, I think you all have small penises, so it doesn't matter anymore.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Your accusation (without proof) does not make me an unreliable source for information. You have to prove that I'm lying, to do so. You fail at this, of course, but that's not new in this thread (your repeated failures, that is).

You're a proven liar with an ego the size of Mount Rushmore. That's enough for me to seriously doubt anything you say.

So, you say that the story is not good. You said that the game play is not good. You said that the immersion is 'completely ruined for PC gamers' because it's a 'shooter on rails' & it is 'consolized to death'. Now, in addition to this, the graphics and immersion are as bad as the [game play and story line] <- which, as you can see, you said at the start of that post weren't very good.

I said the story and gameplay have always been mediocre at best. I also said that its a quality product and a great console game, but only a mediocre PC game the reasons you've listed.

Now, show me where I lied? Or, have you changed your mind, and suddenly Crysis 2 isn't a bad game? Or are you going to wiggle out over the difference between 'bad' and 'crappy'? (This is me laughing).

As I've been saying from the beginning, I never said it was a crappy game!

Unplug your ego long enough to actually read what people write asshole. Unplug your ego long enough to actually take the time to prove what you say instead of just attacking people! You are the quintessential boar who has to be heard at all costs and never learns to listen.

Last edited:

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
You're a proven liar with an ego the size of Mount Rushmore. That's enough for me to seriously doubt anything you say.

You have proven nothing, as I showed above.

I said the story and gameplay have always been mediocre at best. I also said that its a quality product and a great console game, but only a mediocre PC game the reasons you've listed.

So:

1) Storyline: "Crysis never had great gameplay or even a good story line."
2) Story: "The story is little better then a horror movie where monsters just start coming out of the woodwork."
3) Game play: "is little better then Doom where you just shoot everything in sight."
4) Immersion: "They've completely ruined the immersion for PC gamers by turning it into a shooter on rails and consolizing it to death."
5) Graphics and Immersion: "are just as bad as the game play and story line."

From this post:
Exactly. Crysis never had great gameplay or even a good story line. The story is little better then a horror movie where monsters just start coming out of the woodwork and the game play is little better then Doom where you just shoot everything in sight. They've completely ruined the immersion for PC gamers by turning it into a shooter on rails and consolizing it to death. Now the graphics and immersion are just as bad as the game play and story line.

And anyone with a brain is going to interpret that as 'mediocre at best'? What about 'at worst'? You continually wiggle, and I predicted that you would when confronted with the proof, yet again, that you do not think that the game is good (and in this case, crappy, look at the list).

As I've been saying from the beginning, I never said it was a crappy game!

You don't need to use the words 'it's crappy' to imply that 'it's crappy', but again I covered your failure at implication in a number of posts that you failed to address so, big surprise (again).

Unplug your ego long enough to actually read what people write asshole. Unplug your ego long enough to actually take the time to prove what you say instead of just attacking people! You are the quintessential boar who has to be heard at all costs and never learns to listen.

1. Read your own posts more thoroughly before you embarrass yourself further.
2. Read my posts thoroughly enough to understand the points (they are rather clear) before you embarrass yourself further.
3. Don't say that I'm attacking you, when you are the commander of insults in this thread. Your logical failures and lack of reading comprehension are simply obvious (as in, trivial), and it's not an attack for me to state that you ought to pay more attention when you read and write.

I listen. Scroll back and look at the post where I was called "stubborn" then read my response, if you are capable of it. Note the difference in the response he/she obtained over the sort you obtain. Again, if you are capable of it.

An afterthought, compare this:
Therefore its completely up to you to decide whether I'm a drama queen or merely exaggerating for effect.

with this:

I accuse you of being a bald faced liar who trolls people. This makes you entirely unreliable as a source for anything.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
STFU you 2, if you two want your lovers quarrel to continue, do it in PMs. None of us give a rats ass about it so keep it private. If you have something to comment about the existence of DX11 then post it here, but dont post your shitty argument here. Derailing will only get this thread locked.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Both of you, Aristotelian and wuliheron have been removed for the day for the sake of the thread.

If you do choose to post back in this thread in 24 hours and decide to pick up where you left off I will remove one or both of you for longer.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
ai.php

haha...no.

Oct 4, 2004
I think the game looks incredible and I am only about an hour into the campaign. These ridiculous 'fugly/neutered/consolized/dumbed-down graphics' comments that I see all over the Internet make me want to Force choke the morons making them.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I think the game looks incredible and I am only about an hour into the campaign. These ridiculous 'fugly/neutered/consolized/dumbed-down graphics' comments that I see all over the Internet make me want to Force choke the morons making them.
Yep, exactly. I know it doesn't have perfect graphics, but some of the comments make you think it looks like a game from 10 years ago. For some reason, there are always these whiners who fill forums up with hate about a game they have never played. Yet most of the people who actually played the game find it okay.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Yep, exactly. I know it doesn't have perfect graphics, but some of the comments make you think it looks like a game from 10 years ago. For some reason, there are always these whiners who fill forums up with hate about a game they have never played. Yet most of the people who actually played the game find it okay.

So far I can say is its plays like a railroaded shooter like MW2 than Crysis 1/Far cry.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009

Did you see the pictures in this thread?
The game is really ugly in places..and never reach the I.Q of Crysis.....so the sequel is a downgrade.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Did you see the pictures in this thread?
The game is really ugly in places..and never reach the I.Q of Crysis.....so the sequel is a downgrade.

It is really ugly in some places (ground textures, cans/bottles and so on). But I think that some people playing an FPS don't typically focus on what's on the ground.

Do you think that the DX11 patch can fix this? Should it fix it? What about the high resolution 'fix' that was posted earlier? The difference in those shots is quite significant. I, for one, am eager to see the upcoming cost/benefit of more advanced graphics.

I've halted my replay on the highest difficulty in anticipation.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I'm curious how 580's in SLI don't crush this game (in a good way), my 460 performs admirably at 1080p and although I don't track what kind of frames I'm getting, it's always pretty solid based on "feel". I do disable the motion blur and run 2xAA only, everything else is maxed.

I would imagine twin 580's would just stomp the game into submission. The game does look good - it really only needs a high res texture pack to make the visuals "pop". Oh, and the underwater effects could be better like they were in the original.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Crysis 2 is tested here:
http://www.techspot.com/review/379-crysis-2-performance/page2.html
We used Fraps to measure frame rates during a minute of gameplay from the first single-player level called Second Chance for all our benchmarks. The scene is quite busy and should provide a fair representation of the performance you can expect to see on Crysis 2.
Our Intel Core i7 2600K processor was overclocked to 4GHz when testing the GPUs to remove any possible CPU bottleneck. The game was tested at three resolutions: 1680x1050, 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 using the High, Very High and Extreme visual preset

2560_Extreme.png

1920_Extreme.png

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I'm curious how 580's in SLI don't crush this game (in a good way), my 460 performs admirably at 1080p and although I don't track what kind of frames I'm getting, it's always pretty solid based on "feel". I do disable the motion blur and run 2xAA only, everything else is maxed.

I would imagine twin 580's would just stomp the game into submission. The game does look good - it really only needs a high res texture pack to make the visuals "pop". Oh, and the underwater effects could be better like they were in the original.

I would have thought so too. For most of the game, they do. I believe 2 580s are faster than a 590, and mine are overclocked (as is the 2600K) too. I'm referring to at least 2 scenes in game where it happened. The most clear one was on the rooftop that the multiplayer map with the greenhouses is based on.

Keep in mind that I don't mean that the fps is dropping down to 8fps or something. Note that benchmarks (such as the one notty22 posted) don't provide you with minimum framerates. I'd expect the minimum framerates to be lower, but also, a benchmark doesn't cover an entire game. Some areas are likely to be more demanding than others, especially depending on how you engage the enemies. Have you done a complete playthrough?

Also: From the review that notty22 linked to, a 460 apparently gets 36fps average at your resolution. Perhaps what you disabled makes a significant difference in gameplay, but 36fps as an average seems quite low to me for an fps.

OptimumSlinky

Nov 3, 2009
Sightly off-topic, but a very interesting article at Digital Foundry in which they discuss with Crytek the difficulties of bringing CryEngine 3 to consoles, and the idiosyncrasies of both systems. Seems the lack of memory was the biggest hurdle to pass, especially on the PS3.

"...a typical approach from Sony first-party developers is to offload graphics processing tasks from the RSX onto the SPUs, effectively running Cell (or at least a percentage of its available resources) almost like a video co-processor. However, the approach with Crysis 2 is quite different, with RAM limitations being the primary issue.

"The SPUs do indeed allow for easing the workload for the RSX. We decided not to go too crazy in this direction as it requires render targets and assets to reside in main memory. We are able to run skinning for example on SPUs as well, but we could not afford the additional memory required in the end," Gl&#252;ck explains.

"It is possible to use the SPUs to support deferred shading, run post-process effects and do triangle culling. But again, it all requires main memory we did not have as our levels are fairly large compared to other games and our SPUs were in fact pretty loaded with particles, animations, physics, low-level rendering and culling already."

And why the 360 runs at 1152x720...

"The 1152x720 resolution on 360 simply allows you to maximize eDRAM usage on a deferred lighting engine without having to resort to tiled rendering," says Tiago Sousa.

The process of 'tiling' the Xbox 360's framebuffer means that the image is divided up into two or more tiles, and any geometry that bisects, say, two tiles needs to be processed twice, sapping performance. Keeping to a single tile streamlines performance.

Interestingly, DF notes that while the 360 runs at a higher overall resolution and a moderately better frame rate, the PS3 frame rate is more consistent, and less likely to dip drastically during heavy fire fights.

DF also has another article analyzing just PC and the three visual presets, and they note that "there's little doubt that this is the best version of Crysis 2, if not perhaps the definitive version we might have hoped for. The problem is that the basic setup of the visuals and the run of play itself was designed for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, so the opportunity for engine enhancements to really shine is somewhat limited."

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
These ridiculous 'fugly/neutered/consolized/dumbed-down graphics' comments that I see all over the Internet make me want to Force choke the morons making them.

You want to kill someone for telling the truth? Maybe you're someone who shouldn't be playing violent video games.