Cryptocoin Mining?

Page 97 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
You use the -D argument. -D 1 or -D 2 depending on which device you want to use.

Got my first electric bill since I've been mining 24/7 with about 2ghash worth of cards at home. Increase of $45 over previous months. In that time, I mined about 34 bitcoins, which is worth $170.

These results are better than I have seen using the profit calculators, I think because I had my computer on a lot even when I wasn't mining so the true cost of mining is less than the 24/7 power consumption would indicate.

I'm actually starting to think it will be worth mining even after I start paying for air conditioning, if the value:difficulty ratio remains favorable.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I'm actually starting to think it will be worth mining even after I start paying for air conditioning, if the value:difficulty ratio remains favorable.

Your incessant cheerleading and bragging will help keep that value:difficulty ratio down as you encourage new miners to enter.

P.S. You are not factoring in the cost of the cards which artificially inflates your return; or for air conditioning as the weather gets warmer. Heck if I had free cards I'd buy multiple ones as well. But for most people they only get one "free" card--the one they would have bought anyway, for gaming. And even then that poor card gets worn down and the risk of a fan burning out or something goes up. And you're dreaming if you think bitcoins will become a currency; it's just a speculator's game and could easily go to zero.

Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Your incessant cheerleading and bragging will help keep that value:difficulty ratio down as you encourage new miners to enter.

It's a calculated risk. Rather have higher difficulty with more people in the game than see the game collapse because nobody is into it at all.

Ultimately, if bitcoins became the de facto world wide currency demand would vastly outstrip current demand and value would skyrocket. I mean, spread among the world population it would be something like .003 bitcoins per capita. That wouldn't be a terrible thing for anyone who has more than a couple bitcoins saved.

Realistically, that won't happen, but the point is that the more people involved the higher potential demand is.

Plus is just a hobby, if I can't have fun talking about it then whats the point?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm amazed that Bitcoin is still up to $5. There must be a lot of paranoid potheads out there who are naive enough to think that purchasing their stuff from Silkroad is somehow secure.

Duh... the feds can still trace your Bitcoin purchase transactions from Dwolla. Good luck convincing them that legitimate businesses actually use this funny money for their transactions.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I'm amazed that Bitcoin is still up to $5. There must be a lot of paranoid potheads out there who are naive enough to think that purchasing their stuff from Silkroad is somehow secure.

Duh... the feds can still trace your Bitcoin purchase transactions from Dwolla. Good luck convincing them that legitimate businesses actually use this funny money for their transactions.

At 5 dollars and volume consistently around 30k a day. That is about $150000 worth of funny money trading hands everyday. Sure it is miniscule compared to real currency exchanges, but for "funny money" not bad.

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005

In practice bitcoins are extremely difficult/logistically impossible to trace if you employ multiple tumblers and tunnel the traffic over TOR, and at least in the US the onus of proof is on the prosecution not the defense for criminal cases.

That being said I don't see why anybody would buy anything off the silk road; the prices are about 2-3x street prices for most things. But if it helps cryptocurrencies get off the ground I'm all for it.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Over 90 degrees out today, miner is definitely going down until it cools off.

That was my original plan, but after a month of running my miners and air conditioning, I can safely say it's still profitable, at least in my case. Electric bill only increased by $60. BTC output of about 2 per day, 60 per month, a little less than $300. I guess my small condo is pretty cheap to keep cool.

Admittedly two of my miners are located elsewhere with free electricity, about 1/3 my total mhash, but even if I ignored that portion of my BTC income it still seems to be worthwhile to mine through the summer. There were a few cool nights, so A/C didn't run constantly through the month, but I find it hard to believe my electric bill could increase by another $140 even in the hottest of months.

I've pretty much halted hardware purchases though. I feel like GPU mining might not be viable for too much longer, given the more efficient FPGA options becoming available. Going to save for now, and I might just make one last mining rig when/if the 7990 is released. I'd like to make a 3X 7990 mining box if the card is priced reasonably, which should easily beat 3ghash. I just don't think current video card hardware is worthwhile, but I like the density and mhash per dollar of a theoretical 7990 based system.

ensign_lee

Feb 9, 2011
For GCN chips, diablominer is going to be miles ahead of guiminer. Guiminer has a waaaay out of date polcbm version, whereas the developer of diablominer keeps actively trying to improve on the new things brought baout with GCN.

Contrats 370 mhash/sec on my 7970 on guiminer with 650 on diablominer.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
For GCN chips, diablominer is going to be miles ahead of guiminer. Guiminer has a waaaay out of date polcbm version, whereas the developer of diablominer keeps actively trying to improve on the new things brought baout with GCN.

Contrats 370 mhash/sec on my 7970 on guiminer with 650 on diablominer.
Would you mind helping me set up diablominer? I can't seem to get it working. I extracted the files into a folder, and when I click on the .exe it says "the parameter is incorrect".

Do I need to use a command prompt to launch it? What do I have to type in?

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Anyone else see a mhash drop with the latest drivers? both guiminer and diablominer dropped since updating. Also, anyone have good programs for lowering memory clocks below what msi afterburner allows?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Do I need to use a command prompt to launch it? What do I have to type in?

I use a bat file.

btcguild.bat
Code:
c:\users\chiropteran\dropbox\bitcoin\diablominer\diablominer-windows.exe -o mine2.btcguild.com -u chiropteran -p password -v 2 -w 256

This is setup of course to run diablominer out of a dropbox folder, adjust the directory as applies to your setup. I like the dropbox location because I can just keep all my mining tools in it and each time I setup a new mining rig I just install dropbox and I have everything I need.

Anyone else see a mhash drop with the latest drivers? both guiminer and diablominer dropped since updating. Also, anyone have good programs for lowering memory clocks below what msi afterburner allows?

I didn't notice any mhash loss with 12.3, some bitcoin forum folks reported a very slight (.5 mhash) gain.

I like to use clocktweak to adjust voltages and mem speed-
http://bitcoinx.com/clocktweak/download/

costs about $1. It's worked great on all my 5 and 6 series cards, but it doesn't work on my 7970.

Last edited:

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
For stubborn cards (like the 6950), I use ATItrayTools to get them to a nice, low 200MHz mem clock. Saves about 35W at the wall.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Chiropteran, even with your settings I can't get diablominer to work.

Hey do you guys find that running gui miner slows down your computer? I find that Firefox is way less responsive if I have it running. It's too bad because I would leave it going all the time if it had no impact on performance.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Do you guys think that mining on a 7850 is viable? I'm getting 330mhash/s.

I just don't want to pay more for electricity than I earn in bitcoins.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Do you guys think that mining on a 7850 is viable? I'm getting 330mhash/s.

I just don't want to pay more for electricity than I earn in bitcoins.

Depends on cost of electricity. The 28nm chips are pretty efficient so it's probably profitable but not very much so. I see mining more as a hobby now.