Cryptocoin Mining?

Page 86 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Learn how to follow and read a thread.
The OP specifically asked twice if there was other situations where one hardware vendors cards showed superiority like AMD's apparently do in this.

MY ANSWER
Originally Posted by notty22
Folding@home favors Nvidia cards.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...-for-folding/3

While this is true, you need to learn how to use a forum and quote what you were responding to.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
That doesn't make sense. Folding@home doesn't pay you? And Bitcoin was never devised as a system for lower income families to make money...?

Which is why I was asking for a link to the article proposing that Bitcoin was a great way for lower income families to make side income. I'd never heard that angle before, and to me, it doens't make much sense.

I think you misread him.

"I was reading up on bitcoin and in theory it would seem like a great tool for lower income households to make some extra cash while contributing to society"

He never said the article said anything of the sort, he just posted his own theory.

I'd say it's not, since the volatility of the BTC and the lack of profit currently make it somewhat risky, and a lower income household barely making it by shouldn't be gambling.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I'm about to buy another 6870 with the Bitcoins my first 6870 generated. I guess I'll continue to mine with around 550Mhash/s.

ensign_lee

Feb 9, 2011
I think you misread him.

"I was reading up on bitcoin and in theory it would seem like a great tool for lower income households to make some extra cash while contributing to society"

He never said the article said anything of the sort, he just posted his own theory.

I'd say it's not, since the volatility of the BTC and the lack of profit currently make it somewhat risky, and a lower income household barely making it by shouldn't be gambling.

Oic. Eh, I'll leave it alone as a one of those "I don't understand what he's saying" moments. :D

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
my mining application is not working. I'm using the one from the OP. Whenever I launch it. The icon appears in my taskbar, but I can't see the window. I can see a thumbnail preview of the window, but I can't bring it up to actually start mining.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
my mining application is not working. I'm using the one from the OP. Whenever I launch it. The icon appears in my taskbar, but I can't see the window. I can see a thumbnail preview of the window, but I can't bring it up to actually start mining.

It's a common bug. Here is where I found the solution:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41514.0

Open up a folder (Documents, Libraries, whatever) and click elsewhere to lose focus (we're doing this to simulate your missing GUIminer window)
In the taskbar, left-click once on the folder icon so it gains focus
Now, press "ALT-Space" (you will see a menu appear on the folder)
Press "M" to choose the Move option (your cursor will now turn into four arrow points).
Press any of the cursor keys once (this will move your folder on the screen and it will be captured by the mouse)
Move your mouse about and you will see the folder moving with it
Left-Click to "drop" the folder onto your desktop

Also, note that guiminer hasn't been updated in a long time as the creator has pretty much abandoned it. I still use it because I don't really care enough to try out anything else, but if you do care you might get a little more mhash using one of the more current miner programs.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
It's a common bug. Here is where I found the solution:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41514.0

Open up a folder (Documents, Libraries, whatever) and click elsewhere to lose focus (we're doing this to simulate your missing GUIminer window)
In the taskbar, left-click once on the folder icon so it gains focus
Now, press "ALT-Space" (you will see a menu appear on the folder)
Press "M" to choose the Move option (your cursor will now turn into four arrow points).
Press any of the cursor keys once (this will move your folder on the screen and it will be captured by the mouse)
Move your mouse about and you will see the folder moving with it
Left-Click to "drop" the folder onto your desktop

Also, note that guiminer hasn't been updated in a long time as the creator has pretty much abandoned it. I still use it because I don't really care enough to try out anything else, but if you do care you might get a little more mhash using one of the more current miner programs.

Thanks, will try it when I get home and maybe play with the other miners and report in.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
7970@925mhz core
543mhash

7970@1100mhz core
651mhash.

This is using Diablominer with default settings.

I show more or less the same. Diablominer is the best out right now because it at least has GCN support. I can't wait to see what improvements (if any) we can get with miner optimizations, new drivers, and new SDKs.

Try adding -v 1 and leave the rest default.

The2ff

Mar 17, 2011
I made this post over in another thread but note that both of my 7970's are stable at stock clocks @ .878v. Dropping it like that is showing a good 140w savings.

My UPS readout shows 525watts total system draw with both at that voltage and 100% usage. This is on a system with an idle draw of 150watts.

Thus, 187watts usage per card full load. That is pretty impressive.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I made this post over in another thread but note that both of my 7970's are stable at stock clocks @ .878v. Dropping it like that is showing a good 140w savings.

My UPS readout shows 525watts total system draw with both at that voltage and 100% usage. This is on a system with an idle draw of 150watts.

I saw that. Going to test out undervolting tonight when I fire up my array again.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I didn't try to find the absolutely min I could undervolt to. I just set to 899 and she ran all night w/o issue. After trying to wake from partial sleep it wouldn't display video, but not really that big a deal to reboot.

Last edited:

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009

That's nearly 70W saved per card, and I'm sure lower temps too.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I didn't try to find the absolutely min I could undervolt to. I just set to 899 and she ran all night w/o issue. After trying to wake from partial sleep it wouldn't display video, but not really that big a deal to reboot.

Im having that issue with my 6970 on stock volts since it got cold and dry :(

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I'm having more issues. my bitcoin client won't connect anymore. Only shows 0 connections and it can't download any blocks.

Last edited:

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bitcoin newbie here. I followed the first post and am only getting 62 Mhash/s on my rig. GPU temp is at 62C.

What's a decent AMD card that will give me similar / better performance in BF3 as my 560Ti , ie good bang for buck and won't be bottlenecked by my CPU? (wouldn't mind eyefinity in BF3 at some point in the future)

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
The 6950 is similar to the 560Ti, however I wouldn't recommend switching as the difference would be negligible.