Cryptocoin Mining?

Page 85 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
If you have the parts, why not? Cost of electricity is likely lower than the value bitcoins fetch. I kind of want another 6870 for primarily gaming, but it'll make a good second mining card too. Maybe I should sell my bitcoins to cover some of the cost.

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Company just got a new office with FREE ELECTRICITY! Have my 4 g/hash worth of rigs up and running.

jmarti445

Dec 16, 2003
Just got into mining I'm on the Arsbitcoin group. The value of Bitcoin's has shot up a good bit. Using two 5870s, just a hobby right now but I figured what do i have to lose with this.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Just got into mining I'm on the Arsbitcoin group. The value of Bitcoin's has shot up a good bit. Using two 5870s, just a hobby right now but I figured what do i have to lose with this.
Might want to be careful with Arsbitcoin. It had a major outage a few weeks ago and more than 2/3 of the people jumped ship to other pools. The owner of the pool has stated unequivocably that he is no longer putting any / much effort in maintaining the servers. The only reason he hasn't shut the pool down completely is it would be too much of a hassle to do so compared to keeping it in zombie mode.

I jumped from there to ABCpool.co. Same constant payout, pool hashrate that's on par with Arsbitcoin.

jmarti445

Dec 16, 2003
Might want to be careful with Arsbitcoin. It had a major outage a few weeks ago and more than 2/3 of the people jumped ship to other pools. The owner of the pool has stated unequivocably that he is no longer putting any / much effort in maintaining the servers. The only reason he hasn't shut the pool down completely is it would be too much of a hassle to do so compared to keeping it in zombie mode.

I jumped from there to ABCpool.co. Same constant payout, pool hashrate that's on par with Arsbitcoin.

Hmm, thanks, I think I will take a look into this.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com

Thanks for the recommendation, decided to get back into doing some bitcoin mining. What are people using for bitcoin mining currently? I have a few video cards sitting around that should work pretty good. 5770, 5850, 6870. Found a couple guys on kijiji selling 5770's for $60-70 that I'm considering.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Slayernine, I would just mine with what you have. Too risky to buy other mining equipment though.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Thanks for the recommendation, decided to get back into doing some bitcoin mining. What are people using for bitcoin mining currently? I have a few video cards sitting around that should work pretty good. 5770, 5850, 6870. Found a couple guys on kijiji selling 5770's for $60-70 that I'm considering.
What you have is perfect. Folks generally mine with higher end 5xxx and 6xxx cards (>= 5770, >= 6850).

dakU7

Sep 15, 2010
It will take you about a month to generate a coin with your 5450.
If you don't already own the hardware, there's no reason to get into mining at this point.
Difficulty needs to go way down, or price needs to go way up in order for it to be profitable.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah you would need a couple of AMD cards to make some coins with Bitcoin right now.

I personally am running two 5870s slightly over clocked 24/7 and my 6970 part of the time. I have a third 5870 & two 5830s I'm going to get set-up soon.

You need 5800 or 6800 series cards at least and all will cost you a minimum of $150 apiece.

Infraction Jack

Dec 9, 2011
That is a shame. I was reading up on bitcoin and in theory it would seem like a great tool for lower income households to make some extra cash while contributing to society. I wonder if there is another distributed computing project like this that would fit that kind of situation.

ensign_lee

Feb 9, 2011
That is a shame. I was reading up on bitcoin and in theory it would seem like a great tool for lower income households to make some extra cash while contributing to society. I wonder if there is another distributed computing project like this that would fit that kind of situation.

What? Do you have a link? That's the first time I've ever heard of anything like that.

ensign_lee

Feb 9, 2011
Folding@home?

That doesn't make sense. Folding@home doesn't pay you? And Bitcoin was never devised as a system for lower income families to make money...?

Which is why I was asking for a link to the article proposing that Bitcoin was a great way for lower income families to make side income. I'd never heard that angle before, and to me, it doens't make much sense.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Got your shiny new dual-6990 miner? Wondering when it will pay off? If you enter your hash rate below, this page will calculate your expected earnings in both Bitcoins and dollars over various time periods (day, week, and month).
Here's a bitcoin calculator. Before you start mining, check if it's worth it :)