Cryostasis is $3.24 on Impulse

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
http://impulsedriven.com/cryostasis?ref=impnow

Don't know much about this game, but considering buying it since it is only $3.24.

I heard it had a very good storyline, but was really buggy. I haven't tried it so I don't know if that is true. It has been out long enough that the bugs have probably been mostly patched out by now anyway.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Nope, it's still pretty buggy (although it's been a while since I checked for updates), and the Physx stuff that was a big selling point bogged down so much it was nearly unplayable with it turned on.
I didn't really enjoy it, but I stopped playing it pretty quickly due to lack of interest and I'm not sure knowing it had a good storyline in advance would have kept me playing.
You can't really go wrong with $3.xx though, might as well try it.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I picked it up for $3 and change, it's worth a shot on playing something scary and different.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
this game broke my last video card and i know at least a couple other people the same thing happened to... be careful. if it crashes while you're changing your video options, it can mess up your card. seriously.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
this game broke my last video card and i know at least a couple other people the same thing happened to... be careful. if it crashes while you're changing your video options, it can mess up your card. seriously.

Hmm... any more information on this? I just happened to buy a Cryostasis a few weeks ago, and I've been experimenting with the graphics. Fortunately I don't think anything has happened to my video card.

For anyone wondering: CRYOSTASIS RUNS LIKE A DOG. No joke. I put this game somwhere between Metro 2033 and Crysis. That's how beastly of a game it is. Of course, it's great-looking, but I also think it's extremely unoptomized. To top it all off, Nvidia actually pumped a lot of money into it to show off their PhysX. If you have a good Nvidia card, you might actually be in luck. Otherwise, I think they deliberately made it run like crap on ATI cards. It doesn't even matter if you turn the PhysX off or anything else. I don't care if you have a 5870 or whatever. It will run like ass.

Otherwise... it's an OK game. I bought it because I heard it was similar to Penumbra and Amnesia, mainly a first person suspense/horror game. It gets a bit repetitive. But it's interesting and definitely intense.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
I played for 15 minutes or so and it ran smoothly on my Q6600 with a 5870. Seemed interesting and certainly worth $3.

I was about to write "What game ISN'T worth $3?", then I realized there are plenty...

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Well I bought the game, and while I was waiting for X3 to download (I looked at the games I had bought and realized I'd rather play X3 than Cryostasis in the short term) I started GTA4 for the first time. Other than the hour it took for me to get Games for Windows Live to actually work, I can say that the game si actually fun and addictive. I am sure it will get boring soon enough, but it looks like it will be a little while before I get to Cryostasis.

I seem to have too many games right now that I haven't played yet. I recently started Alien vs. Predator, Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect 2, GTA4, The Void, World at War, and Magicka in the last month and I keep moving on to a new one about half way through each of them. My ADD is not helping me to finish these games, and I have enjoyed them all so far. (Some more than others, but none were bad games)

Beyond those, I still have about 50 other games I haven't even touched yet, and I still play Eve on a regular basis. I really need to stop buying games.