Cruz: I’m a Christian first, American second

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You just accused me of projection for accusing you of dishonesty while continuing to accuse me of dishonesty.

You are either lying or incompetent. "Totally true" is not the same thing as "needs to be taken literally, word for word".

Which is it?

Really?
to·tal
ˈtōdl/
adjective
comprising the whole number or amount.
"a total cost of $4,000"
synonyms: entire, complete, whole, full, comprehensive, combined, aggregate, gross, overall, final
"the total cost"
complete; absolute.
"a total stranger"
synonyms: complete, utter, absolute, thorough, out-and-out, outright, all-out, sheer, perfect, consummate, arrant, positive, rank, unmitigated, unqualified, unreserved, categorical
"a total success"

er·al
ˈlidərəl,ˈlitrəl/
adjective
taking words in their usual or most basic sense without metaphor or allegory.
"dreadful in its literal sense, full of dread"
(of a translation) representing the exact words of the original text.
synonyms: word-for-word, verbatim, letter-for-letter; More

Is English your first language? Or do you think in "troll" and then have to translate it into English?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Did anyone else notice that buckshot24 is an anagram 4shock2but?

No but I did notice it is an anagram for suckbot24h or suckboth24.

suckbot24h really struck a chord with me. He comes off like bot that sucks 24 hours a day.

Last edited:

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Did you know that Adam and Eve had money?

The Bible clearly states that "For the Love of Money is the Root of all Evil". This being the case, Adam and Eve would never have eaten from the Tree without first having access to money and loving it.

Now I respectfully disagree with God, I happen to believe that the love of self is at the root of much more evil than the love of money. From my limited perspective, the love of self opens up many more avenues for evil than just the love of money (although it includes it).

In any event, the Bible clearly indicates that Adam and Eve had money, I wonder who minted it for them and what they bought with it.

Bahahahahhahahhahahaha..... I slay myself sometimes.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Bahahahahhahahhahahaha..... I slay myself sometimes.

More often than you can possibly imagine. The love of self is hatred of the real self.

It does seem, however, looking at our DNA, that back a bit in time, we went through some sort of bottleneck in which very few of us survived.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
More often than you can possibly imagine. The love of self is hatred of the real self.

It does seem, however, looking at our DNA, that back a bit in time, we went through some sort of bottleneck in which very few of us survived.

The love of self is hatred of the real self? So love is hate? I don't really love my family, I actually hate them? You are sending a signal but my receptors are scrambling it into gibberish. Moon, I have never and will never understand what you are talking about. My brain is missing something that allows me to communicate with you. Sorry about that.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The love of self is hatred of the real self? So love is hate? I don't really love my family, I actually hate them? You are sending a signal but my receptors are scrambling it into gibberish. Moon, I have never and will never understand what you are talking about. My brain is missing something that allows me to communicate with you. Sorry about that.

Ever heard the expression "can't live with them, can't live without them"? It probably applies when talking about your family, but Moonbeam was specifically talking about self, so twisting that into something about other people probably isn't a good idea.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I suppose we can move on now, Cruz is toast. No way he recovers from this.

CYJcdk5WQAImf73.jpg

Mods, lock the thread please.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I found this definition of self interesting. The self is three things, who you think you are, who others think you are, and who you really are.

The first two selves can vary from reasonably accurate to wildly delusional and pure projection. The latter can only be inferred to exist if one finds it something one has no real sense of, no intuitive revelation.

I generally refer to the self of self assumptions, the self presented by or the representative of the ego. That self is a mask that hides our real negative feelings, our real self hate. It is how we survived debilitation and otherwise endless suffering. It is the self that guards against us feeling our real feelings, it is an armament against remembering what happened to us as children. It is false self love that masquerades as genuine self acceptance or self love. It is there to prevent us from feeling hate for those who destroyed us as children, to make sure we don't endlessly resist and lose the will to survive. It is both our savior and, because the danger has passed, our mortal enemy. We can't be hurt now as we were hurt as children and it is a waste because all the hurt it is designed to prevent us from experiencing has long ago already been done.. Thus our self love is our greatest enemy, this false self love, that is. What you hate most is that God couldn't save you from your own self contempt. The point you constantly miss is that your real self love or if you wish, God's real love for you, while deeply buried by ego, is whole and fresh and waiting for you as it was the day you were born. It can never be lost or taken, it can only be deeply hidden under our pain. God didn't create suffering or cause us to suffer. He only left it as a door that leads back to Him. He, real love, is always hidden within us. He's not in a church or a book or anywhere out there. The kingdom of heaven is within you, in your own heart. Gods love of you is your love of Him. Do you remember loving him? Where could such love go?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I found this definition of self interesting. The self is three things, who you think you are, who others think you are, and who you really are.

The first two selves can vary from reasonably accurate to wildly delusional and pure projection. The latter can only be inferred to exist if one finds it something one has no real sense of, no intuitive revelation.

I generally refer to the self of self assumptions, the self presented by or the representative of the ego. That self is a mask that hides our real negative feelings, our real self hate. It is how we survived debilitation and otherwise endless suffering. It is the self that guards against us feeling our real feelings, it is an armament against remembering what happened to us as children. It is false self love that masquerades as genuine self acceptance or self love. It is there to prevent us from feeling hate for those who destroyed us as children, to make sure we don't endlessly resist and lose the will to survive. It is both our savior and, because the danger has passed, our mortal enemy. We can't be hurt now as we were hurt as children and it is a waste because all the hurt it is designed to prevent us from experiencing has long ago already been done.. Thus our self love is our greatest enemy, this false self love, that is. What you hate most is that God couldn't save you from your own self contempt. The point you constantly miss is that your real self love or if you wish, God's real love for you, while deeply buried by ego, is whole and fresh and waiting for you as it was the day you were born. It can never be lost or taken, it can only be deeply hidden under our pain. God didn't create suffering or cause us to suffer. He only left it as a door that leads back to Him. He, real love, is always hidden within us. He's not in a church or a book or anywhere out there. The kingdom of heaven is within you, in your own heart. Gods love of you is your love of Him. Do you remember loving him? Where could such love go?

If God exists, he has to be a sadist or looks at us as we look at ants. There is no way a higher power would set up this carnival of horror out of any feelings other than contempt, loathing or clinical detachment. I have always said and will continue to argue that intelligence is the worst trait ever evolved in the history of the universe. It is a misery multiplier on steroids. No other animal can approach the human for suffering.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If God exists, he has to be a sadist or looks at us as we look at ants. There is no way a higher power would set up this carnival of horror out of any feelings other than contempt, loathing or clinical detachment. I have always said and will continue to argue that intelligence is the worst trait ever evolved in the history of the universe. It is a misery multiplier on steroids. No other animal can approach the human for suffering.

What intelligence are you speaking of? You talk like an idiot telling me what a sadist a god you are totally sure can't possibly exist must be if he did exist. You fool, can't you even trust yourself to be right.

God can't possibly be God and be a sadist. No such God exists so you are going fruitcake over a ridiculous God you don't even believe in. Think for a change. Where the fuck does that leave you? You got all fucked up over superpowers because Because the ego is needy. There is only love.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why? Because you say so? If God exists, his characteristics are completely independent of what mankind wants or believes them to be.

Rubbish. You are the one who rejected the possibility of a god-monster, rejects such a god with vehement certainty, if I may add. My only interest is in asking you how you know. I'm asking you to answer for you. I already know.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Rubbish. You are the one who rejected the possibility of a god-monster, rejects such a god with vehement certainty, if I may add. My only interest is in asking you how you know. I'm asking you to answer for you. I already know.

Dunno where you got that from. I have no idea if God exists. If God exists I have no idea what his characteristics are other than he apparently is ambivalent about humanity. Where are you going with this?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Dunno where you got that from. I have no idea if God exists. If God exists I have no idea what his characteristics are other than he apparently is ambivalent about humanity. Where are you going with this?
Is God made out of atoms? If so, it means that atoms came first. If not, what is he made from? And, uh, yeah, is God a a "He", and if so, does he have a penis? I mean, he made man in his image. If so, what is that penis made out of? Additionally, does God have hands, and toe nails, and freckles, and arm hair? If so, what for...and, what is all of that made out of?

If God has a penis, what would it be used for? Other Gods? Depending on which version of the 10 commandments you were taught to believe, God does say He's a jealous God, so maybe there are female Gods that he can have sex with?

Etc., etc., ad nauseum.

I am perfectly fine with people believing in whichever version of the sky wizard their parents told them to believe in (right along side Santa, or God-lite as I like to refer to Santa since he...see's you when you're sleeping, know's when you're awake, knows when you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake!).

But anytime anyone is trying to argue that there is a God and that there is evidence of it, you have to realize that all of the evidence exists solely in that persons mind, fullstop.

Religious arguments are kinda fun in terms of getting real-time examples of shit-tier logic and reasoning, but that's pretty much it.

That said, as an Agnostic (a g-d fence sitter!) I can assure you that the only thing I know is that I don't know whether there is some kind of God, or god, although I'd argue that: the Universe is us, and we are the universe, and the Universe is just subjectively observing itself through us, because we are the universe and the universe is us.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Is God made out of atoms? If so, it means that atoms came first. If not, what is he made from? And, uh, yeah, is God a a "He", and if so, does he have a penis? I mean, he made man in his image. If so, what is that penis made out of? Additionally, does God have hands, and toe nails, and freckles, and arm hair? If so, what for...and, what is all of that made out of?

If God has a penis, what would it be used for? Other Gods? Depending on which version of the 10 commandments you were taught to believe, God does say He's a jealous God, so maybe there are female Gods that he can have sex with?

Etc., etc., ad nauseum.

I am perfectly fine with people believing in whichever version of the sky wizard their parents told them to believe in (right along side Santa, or God-lite as I like to refer to Santa since he...see's you when you're sleeping, know's when you're awake, knows when you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake!).

But anytime anyone is trying to argue that there is a God and that there is evidence of it, you have to realize that all of the evidence exists solely in that persons mind, fullstop.

Religious arguments are kinda fun in terms of getting real-time examples of shit-tier logic and reasoning, but that's pretty much it.

That said, as an Agnostic (a g-d fence sitter!) I can assure you that the only thing I know is that I don't know whether there is some kind of God, or god, although I'd argue that: the Universe is us, and we are the universe, and the Universe is just subjectively observing itself through us, because we are the universe and the universe is us.

Yea I have thought about the same things. Obviously God cannot be composed of matter because he then wouldn't be God. He must transcend matter, time, space and energy. Actually God can't be composed of anything because that "anything" would have preceded him. God must therefor be composed of nothing and is therefor nothing. Amirite?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Yea I have thought about the same things. Obviously God cannot be composed of matter because he then wouldn't be God. He must transcend matter, time, space and energy. Actually God can't be composed of anything because that "anything" would have preceded him. God must therefor be composed of nothing and is therefor nothing. Amirite?
I dunno, but you know I'm being honest and simply describing observable reality. Whether or not some form of magic exists certainly cannot be answered by humans. Especially bronze age sheep herders.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
This dude is far from a Christian.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/carson-camp-cruz-apology-too-little-too-late

Cruz’s campaign blasted out a report Monday night that suggested Carson was going home to Florida instead of campaigning after the Iowa caucuses – something Cruz said Tuesday is “fair game” – but admitted that the campaign should have corrected that report when it became clear Carson wasn’t dropping out of the race. He was just going home to get “fresh clothes.”

Quite a distasteful tactic although it really shouldn't be surprising, coming from Cruz. It makes you wonder how far the reach of freedom of speech can be, and whether this kind of "speech" is really a speech that should be protected.

Republicans' "deep bench" this year should ring an alarm bell to all the thinking conservatives. Who in the honest mind can say one of them represents your interest? (Other than the interest of beating the Democratic nominee, of course)

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Cruz's pandering to those religious fundamentalists in that State, IMO, is what gave Cruz his victory there, and logically, in the future, everywhere else in the bible belt.

How Trump can get around that is going to be very interesting indeed.

Last edited:

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I dunno, but you know I'm being honest and simply describing observable reality. Whether or not some form of magic exists certainly cannot be answered by humans. Especially bronze age sheep herders.

It is so utterly fucking depressing though. I long for magic. I was born wanting magic. Science has ruined it for everybody. It really has.

Are you happy? If so, WHY? You cannot justify being happy on any philosophical level. There is no objective reason for you to be happy. None. If you are a rational human being, it is axiomatic that you must be miserable. Only through irrationality, distraction and delusion can you achieve happiness.