Cruz asks Feinstein about constitutionality of her Bill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Once you get to the SCOTUS, if they say it's constitutional it's done. If the President gets another 1 or 2 liberal Justices everything will be out the window as far as old fashioned Constitutional beliefs go.

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
The way I saw the exchange is the same way I see all Cruz's activity. Complete Hyperbole for the sole purpose of shocking people.

Seriously he was relating limits on guns to first amendment rights.

BTW the court has shown that no right is absolute including the first amendment. (you can't yell fire in a theater)

Dude's a freak.

No, he's daring to ask questions and expecting real answers from a freak. He may be a freak, Feinstein is too big for her britches.

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
So you say if people want the law changed they should follow the law to make that happen but then you complain about your rights when, in fact, they are following the law and doing what's necessary to change the law.

I'll make this simple....

Do you or do you not feel that rights...yours and mine...are being threatened?

I'm not just referring to the second amendment but others as well...
Examples:
NDAA
Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act
The dancing around the drones debate
The NSA's activities
...and many more examples

If she wants the amendment revoked, watered down or rewritten then no, she is not following the law.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
The way I saw the exchange is the same way I see all Cruz's activity. Complete Hyperbole for the sole purpose of shocking people.

Seriously he was relating limits on guns to first amendment rights.

BTW the court has shown that no right is absolute including the first amendment. (you can't yell fire in a theater)

Dude's a freak.

so asking how limiting one right compares to limiting other rights that are equally important is not a legitimate question?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So...should ALL gun regulations be eliminated since they're infringing on the Second Amendment?

Should felons be allowed to own guns?

Should we be able to own any firearm we want with no restrictions/registration?

Should anyone be able to buy/sell guns without federal/state interference/licensing?

I'm not anti-gun, but do think that some restrictions are a necessary evil.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Awww, you definitely mad.

LOL, I just don't feeling arguing with a 'tard like you about it.
There isn't any point. You're so set in your ways and beliefs that even if I answered all of your questions "correctly" you would still find something wrong with them. It is how you people work.
So I'm not going to play your game.
Keep on ranting though, I hope it makes you feel better.
<--- another Republican...oh well...

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I saw the exchange, he could have smashed her but didn't and he was probably uncomfortable being a freshman still. I think he did the right thing however, the questions needed to be asked.

And in typical Democrat fashion she did not answer the questions just tried to drown them out with a meaningless rant.

The fact this is the oath every single member of Congress has taken upon accepting the job:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States
against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that
I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will
well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God."

Not try to undermine, subvert the constitution any and every way possible!

For Feinstein and many others it seems to be their mission to do just that, all whom engage in this activity have broken their oath and should no longer hold their elected office, all should be branded traitors.

Last edited:

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
So...should ALL gun regulations be eliminated since they're infringing on the Second Amendment?

No, guns should be reasonably reliable, IE no guns that explode in your face when you shoot it. Just like building codes for housing etc.

Should felons be allowed to own guns?

It depends, all felonies aren't created equal. Clearly we deny many freedoms from criminals, hackers often have access to computers limited for example. Assuming you mean after incarceration, for non-violent offenders, yes I think they should be allowed to own guns.

Should we be able to own any firearm we want with no restrictions/registration

Without registration absolutely. There will always be restrictions on anything, but I should easily be able to purchase an actual assault rifle if I want, not an AR-15, a select fire rifle.

Should anyone be able to buy/sell guns without federal/state interference/licensing?

Individual sales, sure just like selling my car without being a car dealer. Gun dealers should fall under guidelines of commerce

I'm not anti-gun, but do think that some restrictions are a necessary evil.

I agree with this statement, however an AWB won't promote public safety. A ban on guns with a collapsible stock, detachable magazine, or whenever else are unconstitutional in my opinion.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Did you know the assault weapons ban in 94 has never been challenged? I guess when things are unconstitutional people like to wait 10+ years before bringing something to the supreme court. It's funny though because obamacare was challenged within a year.
There was a 217 year delay between signing of 2nd amendment and the 2008 Heller case, so 10 years is nothing for a SCOTUS case and ruling. SCOTUS rules on law all the time that has been practiced for way, way longer than 10 years.
So what part of her bill is unconstitutional and why? I'm curious to hear the legal argument against it.
The argument is simple and that these very common assault weapons contradict the 2008 Heller ruling guaranteeing access to arms "in common use". The case is in fact very strong and one of the components of a case now pending in NY State against its recent law.
Once you get to the SCOTUS, if they say it's constitutional it's done. If the President gets another 1 or 2 liberal Justices everything will be out the window as far as old fashioned Constitutional beliefs go.
Yep, I am sure gun advocates have this exactly in mind and are doing their best to hit SCOTUS with meaningful cases before one of the justices is removed. If they do so it will impact gun ownership or lack thereof for generations to come. Already the 2008 and 2010 supreme court rulings have given very powerful ammunition to the gun owners crowd and until another case hits (which will offer stricter guidance on what guns are allowed and under what laws states/counties can limit access to them), a lot of new laws will be hamstrung trying not to compete with Heller.

FWIW I didn't see Feinstein doing so badly here; I've seen worse. She didn't answer the question very well, as it's not terribly hard to answer and the supreme court has already said that dangerous and unusual weapons can be banned constitutionally, so the question is what are those.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What human growth hormone does she take? Looks like a dude.

So funny she falls back on the same lame brain response when asked about gun limits. Do people need a bazooka? Yeah dipshit that is what we are saying. Besides, when was the last time anybody produced a Bazooka?

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Diane Frankenstein is the perfect example of why we need term limits. Thankfully, assuming she is in fact human and not some reptilian life form from prehistoric times, she is going to have to leave office due to her age in the not so distant future.

I wish proposing a blatantly unconstitutional law like this was grounds for charging someone with treason.

Last edited:

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Admittedly I only read what was in the article and not the entire transcript, but it certainly didn't seem like a "lecture" to me. Some pointed and perhaps even slightly unfair questions were asked of her, but as a politician she should have been ready to answer those (or at least do a better job of evading).

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
We need term limits in congress.

20 fucking years is way way too long for any one person to be in power. She belives she is above being "lectured" about the constution by somebody she considers to be a noob newcomer who does not know his place yet.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
For her to say the 2000+ guns are not prohibited but excluded is fucking bullshit.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
If this thread is how people think then America is doomed.

Yes the bill does infringe on the 2nd amendment rights, its rather simple.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
the other thing that always gets me with the arguments like feinstein proposed is "how much do you need?"

as much as i feel i do. end of story. you aren't to tell me what i need. do i need a certain size house? number of cars? amount of money i can make in a year?

one you start trying to legislate needs, it's very easy to lose sight of the fact that you are legislating away RIGHTS. i think this is where a lot of people take a wrong turn.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Anyone besides me notice that not only does he act like him but Cruz bears a striking resemble to his intellectual mentor, the late Senator Joe McCarthy?

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
We need term limits in congress.

20 fucking years is way way too long for any one person to be in power. She belives she is above being "lectured" about the constution by somebody she considers to be a noob newcomer who does not know his place yet.

Ha ha. Senator Feinstein received more votes for Senator THAN ANYONE IN HISTORY!
Her term limits are what's in the Constitution, none....you believe in the Constitution, right?
Yes, she is getting pretty old, that's the good news for you. The bad news, say hello to Senator Gavin "Gay Marriage" Newsom , from San Francisco.:)

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Ha ha. Senator Feinstein received more votes for Senator THAN ANYONE IN HISTORY!
Her term limits are what's in the Constitution, none....you believe in the Constitution, right?
Yes, she is getting pretty old, that's the good news for you. The bad news, say hello to Senator Gavin "Gay Marriage" Newsom , from San Francisco.:)

Hello Senator Gavin "Gay Marriage" Newsom! You can marry frogs for all I care as the Constitution doesn't allow room for government in the bedroom. Just keep your hands off our guns. kthxbai

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Why is it Republicans are so do divisive, have so much intolerance, carry so much hate, thus claiming the only solution is to arm every mother father and child with a gun in order to coexist in society?
Do they not see the connection here?
Why they first create this fear of ones neighbor, and then the only solution is to pack deadly force against that fear.
Wasn't that pretty much how the brain of the first Neanderthals functioned?
Could this explain it?
Mans de evolution. Better known as the tea party.
LOL You claim that Republicans "create this fear of ones neighbor", yet it's the Democrats who insist that one's neighbor be kept unarmed and powerless, at the total mercy of government.