Crushed Duron core - why so easy?

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
Thanks to everyone who replied to my "Eek no POST" post. It was indeed something involving the Duron, as when my Athlon arrived, I popped it in and everything works fine now.

My question is, if it's so easy to crush a core with something like a copper cooler, why isn't made clearer? Obviously I know now...

Wind

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2001
Its not w/ the cooper or aluminium HSF...its the core itself. The Duron (Splitfire) & the Athlon (Tbirds) core is more fragile. XP has a harder to crack core thou.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Bah I don't think its easy to crush cores. I have installed and reinstalled tbirds and durons at least 30 times and have _never_ had one so much as even crack a corner. I don't see why there are so many problems with broken cores.

Am I just more careful than most? I don't get it.

Pan1c

Feb 11, 2002
Actually, it's quite easy to scrap a core around the corner if you're not careful (especially with AMD). Celery2 cores are also crushable if you use
crappy heatsinks like that damn golden orb. I've put the GORB on and off my old C2 700 about 20 times and it cracked a corner. All other
corners were a bit scrapped off as well (and I was CAREFUL!). So as long you you are careful and not using heatsinks that use the same system
as gorbs (you twist it - bad for thermal conduction!) you shouldn't worry about cracking a core. But of course they don't tell you that when you
buy the gorb.

Wind

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2001

<< Bah I don't think its easy to crush cores. I have installed and reinstalled tbirds and durons at least 30 times and have _never_ had one so much as even crack a corner. I don't see why there are so many problems with broken cores.

Am I just more careful than most? I don't get it.
>>

A fragile core + some bad installation techniques.....boom...get it ?

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Thank god the Hammer's will have both heat dissapation (so the cores don't blow if you don't have the heatsink on right) and that same device will prevent cracked cores!

ModelM

Oct 7, 2001
I had a problem with a cracked core too. I had my alpha 8045 installed on my athlon and was working properly. Then i looked on my desk and saw the aluminum peice that fits between the HS and the FAN. Doh forgot to put it in! I removed the fan, placed the aluminum peice on the HS, and remounted fan. Star computer.... No POST!. Result was crushed core.

still pissed about this...