http://www.microcenter.com/specials/...ndlePROMO.html

Phenom™ II X6 1090T Black Edition
w/free GA-78LMT-S2P Socket AM3+ 760G mATX
$169.99 + tax

40GB PATA (IDE) 3.5" Desktop Hard Drive - Refurbished
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0345153
$8.99

Some PATA-to-SATA adaptors
(As low as under $2 from the right places - mostly HK importers like Meritline and on ebay)

If you want to use a case+PSU, Superbiiz/ewiz has cheap ones:
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-IM1202P
iMicro CA-IM1202P 400W 20+4pin Mini ATX Mini Tower Case (Black)
$25.99

You'll need some DDR3 RAM too. Newegg has had 8GB (2x4GB kits) for as low as $35, and there have been rebate deals for less. If nothing else, Microcenter has house-brand DDR3, $20 for a 2x2GB kit.

So under $250 for a six-core cruncher machine that can likely be pushed to 4Ghz.

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
Don't worry Peter, I don't think the East Coast has any Microcenters, so a chunk of us are missing this good deal.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
So tempting. My wife will kill me if I do this.
For $183.16 I can get the 1055T, MB and 4GB ram. I can then retire the X2 4200+ that I shoved in a cardboard box to crunch for Correlizer.

Oh and i can swap out my X2 555 BE for the 1055T on my main rig.
So very, very tempting.

Last edited:

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
I found a nice set of kingston ddr3 1600 2x4gb the other day for $29.99 AR f/s. Ram prices are stupid cheap these days.

Thanks fo rthe heads-up.
Why are such deals only for "residents of the US"? :eek:

I don't know if your question is serious or not, but I'll take a stab at it.

Generally speaking, these super-duper crazy deals at places like Microcenter are loss leaders; ie, they actually lose money selling those items. They hope that you'll buy some $80 monster cables/$25 TIM, etc etc to make up for it. Some states here and many other countries around the world don't allow you to sell things at a loss, so there's no way for a "Microcenter" to spring up in those places. Also, keep in mind that they don't exactly roll out the red carpet and make it easy for you to just buy the loss leader item and nothing else. They spend a LOT of time/money training their sales forces to upsell. They actually have a lot in common with auto dealers, though with cars at least the relationship is often much more important (and much easier to build).

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Somewhat OT:
Yes my question was serious. This rule applies only to some shops, not to most.
If I buy something from a US-shop there is generally no problem at all. I pay the shipping and when the stuff comes to Sweden I pay the VAT and - if applicable - a customs fee.
The shipping costs the shop nothing.
They gain the sales tax (if the price includes sales tax, otherwise no loss)
The do not pay anything else.
They do not have to engage the sales staff. The packing ansd unpacking has to be done anyway.
Since this is export (from US point of view) there is no income tax for me to pay, no special rules apply ... I think it is something else ... and want to know why they have these rules.

I can understand the "residents of the US" only in give-aways, in lotteries and other competions, because there a person wins something and thus the US and the state loose tax revenue. But a shop, especially when there are shops which do sell to non-residents in the US? I can not understand that.

Also it is so easily circumvented: I may ask a mate close to the shop to buy it for me and then to ship it to me. He/she may repackage that item (i.e. open the package, put it into a new one; then the item is "used" and thus I pay less sales tax and custums fee.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
FYI, for what it's worth, they gave me a pre-filled rebate form for the motherboard. $10 for the Gigabyte one.
If gigabyte accepts it, that drops the price a bit more.

nitrous9200

Mar 1, 2007
I plan on picking one of these bundles up tomorrow. Are any of these boards better than the other ones?
I mainly want to make sure I'm able to increase the multiplier since I don't know if every mobo is able to do it even if the cpu can.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Deals on Bulldozer 4100/6100 hit my inbox today. 6100 + Gigabyte 970 motherboard for ~$210. Since you can get a 2500k setup for about $10-$20 more I am not sure even that has reached critical mass for making Bulldozer attractive.

If it were the 8 "core" BD @ ~$210 with a motherboard then we might really have something...

Depends on how well they crunch, I guess :)

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
- the original deal featuring the 1090T w/ free mobo is now down to $159.99 + tax, and there's a $10 MIR if you choose the Gigabyte board.

- you can also get a 1055T w/ free mobo for $119 + tax. the deal is advertised at $139.99 + tax, however it drops down to $119.99 + tax when you add it to your shopping cart...and the same Gigabyte board with the same $10 MIR is available with this combo as well...

follow this link (or the OP's original link in post #1) for both deals:
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/...ndlePROMO.html

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
tell me about it...i hate that 99% of their deals are in-store pickup only b/c i live 10 hours away from the nearest MC :(

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
tell me about it...i hate that 99% of their deals are in-store pickup only b/c i live 10 hours away from the nearest MC :(

Don''t worry, you're not the only one that lives 10+ hours away from a MC. It's probably faster to have something overnight'd from NewEgg (from NJ) then it would be for me to drive down and back.

As for Peter missing out on the schweet deals, I'd say we all chip in and ship him some "gifts" to Sweden :D

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
I plan on picking one of these bundles up tomorrow. Are any of these boards better than the other ones?
I mainly want to make sure I'm able to increase the multiplier since I don't know if every mobo is able to do it even if the cpu can.
The Gigabyte board is probably the best of the basic boards. It supports 125W CPUs (v3.1 does at least) and is AM3+ ready, so it should accept at least some Bulldozer CPUs. And as someone else mentioned here, there's even a $10 rebate on the board.

If you click on the CPU support list at this link, it shows that it has FX processor support:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3833#
although you may need to update the BIOS depending on which version comes with the board. The only thing is that it shows a FX-8100 95W CPU, but it doesn't say if it will take a 125W Bulldozer.

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
yup...there are only 4 boards to select from that don't increase the price of the combo, 2 of which have nVidia nForce chipsets, and 2 of which have AMD chipsets. i would eliminate the nForce boards first, since the nForce chipsets that cater to AMD CPUs don't perform quite as well as AMD chipsets do. from there, its a decision between the Gigabyte board and the Biostar board. they use the same AMD 760G chipset, but as geecee mentioned, the Gigabyte board apparently has Bulldozer support...

nitrous9200

Mar 1, 2007
Too late for me as I already picked up the Biostar (I've had good luck with them) but in the off chance I get another one, maybe I'll try the gigabyte (highly unlikely though since I really don't need yet another PC).

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
no worries - although i would have chosen the Gigabyte board over the Biostar board, i think you should know that i just did a build for my folks' home PC using that Biostar mobo (b/c i got it for dirt cheap in a newegg combo), and its proven to be rock solid so far...