Crucifixion -- it's not just for the dark ages

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I'm saying that they don't use the ISIS style of sawing off a head. It's more akin to a guillotine, done properly it's a single sword blow and an instant death. Which is no more barbaric than lethal injection and let's bear in mind that lethal injection is not the only method of execution in the USA. While it's the primary method in all jurisdictions and the sole method in some, we still have states that can and do use gas chambers and electric chairs. So let's not blame the middle east for being in the dark ages, we're pretty damn close them in many regards.

Yes, we are NOT wholly different and are ranking in the imposition of the death penalty is right smack dab in the middle of the Middle Eastern nations that tend to prefer stoning, crucifixion and beheading.

Brian

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You would have had to read more than the first couple sentences of the article. I know that's a pretty tough expectation though.

We are members of the U.N., right? What's the point of having a U.N. if no one follows through with what they say they'll do?

Well you can stuff the insult.

I read the entire article, FYI.

The UN is pointless and never does anything that they should anyway.

It still isn't our business to dictate to them any more than they can dictate to us...

Simple.

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I'm saying that they don't use the ISIS style of sawing off a head. It's more akin to a guillotine, done properly it's a single sword blow and an instant death. Which is no more barbaric than lethal injection and let's bear in mind that lethal injection is not the only method of execution in the USA. While it's the primary method in all jurisdictions and the sole method in some, we still have states that can and do use gas chambers and electric chairs. So let's not blame the middle east for being in the dark ages, we're pretty damn close them in many regards.

I would agree that the way we do capital punishment is maybe moderately less barbaric than clean beheadings.

Strapping people down and injecting them with random mixes of chemicals, so they can writhe in pain for many minutes until their heart gives out is pretty fking brutal.

We've medicalized and proceduralized it so it seems more sanitary and modern, but if you see it fit what it is, it's pretty horrific.

The crucifixion and public display does punch it up a few levels.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well you can stuff the insult.

I read the entire article, FYI.

The UN is pointless and never does anything that they should anyway.

It still isn't our business to dictate to them any more than they can dictate to us...

Simple.

what an amazing and short-sighted culture the GOP has managed to foster in its unquestioning base.

I guess the near-endless millenia of internal war in Europe and the West was preferable to this whole "UN thing."

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It was fine then, now not so much.

Like the wars we no longer have right?

They are too politically correct to be effective. Look at some of their appointments to committees etc.