Question Crucial P5 NVMe PCI-E 3.0 x4 SSD - will it be enough? 3400MB/sec read. Priced like a 970 EVO Plus.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

I have mixed feelings about this. Crucial coming out with a "Premium" PCI-E 3.0 NVMe SSD, to compete with Samsung, whereas Samsung, and already a number of other vendors, like Sabrent, are pushing PCI-E 4.0 SSDs that are faster, AND cheaper.

Sure, maybe there are some die-hard "I only trust Crucial" customers out there, but given that most SSDs are nearly a commodity at this point, I wonder how well this new lineup will do.

To say nothing of competing with cut-rate HP EX920 and EX950 drives, that are of similar performance levels.

Edit: I believe that they state in the specs, support for "full hardware encryption". Maybe these will be found in up-scale business-class laptops / notebooks? I have no idea if the HP EX920 / EX950 or Samsung EVO 970 / EVO Plus 970 support "Full hardware encryption".

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Better to offer something, rather then nothing at all.

I usually only buy Samsung myself, but other available options do help keep pricing in check.