Crucial MX300 vs Samsung 850 EVO

leonardotmnt

Nov 19, 2006
I'm building a computer mostly for Lightroom and I'm trying to decide on a couple components.

So far I'm pretty solid on:

CPU - i7 6700k
Ram - 16 gb G Skill
No video card for the time being
PSU - Corsair RM550x
Case - Fractal Designs R5
Storage - 3 TB HGST

I'm trying to decide on a motherboard and new SSD.

For the SSD I'm looking for 500 gb and am looking at the Samsung Evo 850 and Crucial MX300. The Samsung seems to be faster but the Crucial is almost $40 cheaper at the moment.

Will the performance difference be noticeable when using something like Lightroom or Photoshop? Otherwise it's just normal web browsing, word processing, etc. I'll be putting the program, previews, and catalog on the SSD along with Windows.

I know this is the storage forum but in case anyone has any suggestions. I was looking at the Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 3 board originally but there are combo deals right now on Newegg that have the cpu and ram I'm getting with either the Gigabyte Gaming 6 or Asus ROG Ranger VIII for about the same price as I would pay if I got the gaming 3. The Ranger looks good but some people talked about audio issues. Any thoughts on any of those 3 boards?

I don't plan to overclock a ton but may push it a little higher than stock.

Thanks!

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
For the SSD I'm looking for 500 gb and am looking at the Samsung Evo 850 and Crucial MX300. The Samsung seems to be faster but the Crucial is almost $40 cheaper at the moment.

Will the performance difference be noticeable when using something like Lightroom or Photoshop? Otherwise it's just normal web browsing, word processing, etc. I'll be putting the program, previews, and catalog on the SSD along with Windows.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1738?vs=1700 shows the difference, if you haven't seen it yet.
For most everyday things, you will not notice the difference, if you have lots of huge files or lots of writes at the same time, then you will start to notice a difference.

Reactions: PliotronX

leonardotmnt

Nov 19, 2006
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1738?vs=1700 shows the difference, if you haven't seen it yet.
For most everyday things, you will not notice the difference, if you have lots of huge files or lots of writes at the same time, then you will start to notice a difference.

Thanks Elixer. I hadn't seen that comparison but read a couple reviews comparing them both. Most seem to say the Samsung is better but I had no idea how that correlated to real world performance.

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
If you plan to read and write big and lots of files daily in the SSD, stay clear of the cheap TCL drives like the MX300, their performance drops off dramatically after a little while as they come to steady state, Samsung and MLC drives are better. For workhorse drives that write photos and videos all the time i use exclusively Sandisk Extreme Pro's, they stay in top shape all the time with steady performance.