Crucial M4 vs Intel 330

Razersoda

Sep 14, 2012
Hello, been doing some research on SSD's, which to get, why to get, is it worth it. I have come to a conclusion that I should upgrade my HDD to a SSD.

I have looked around in this forum and google, but haven't got a clear answer. Only thing I found that M4 is on the recommended list, but there isn't anything about 330. ( http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=29731859&postcount=3 )

Intel 330 Series SSD - Read speed 500MB/s, Write speed 450MB/s, 120GB, 3 years warranty, costs 1 € more.
Crucial M4 - Read speed 500 MB/s, Write speed 175MB/s, 128GB, 3 years warranty, costs 1 € less.

Where is the catch here? They are both the same price, same read speed, but write speed is ~3 times higher on the Intel one. It would make sense to me that Intel does high-quality products and are usually more expensive. Am I missing something very important here?

Thanks, Razersoda.

EDIT: Just noticed that Intel has SATA - 6.0Gb/s and Crucial has SSD2. What does that mean? Sorry for being a scrub. :)
The links if it helps. Description is english, but the site is Estonian.
http://www.arvutikeskus.ee/est/TOOT...L-SSD-SATA25-128GB-CT128M4SSD2-CRUCIAL-144693
http://www.arvutikeskus.ee/est/TOOT...SATA-6Gb-s-25nm-MLC-95mm-Reseller-Pack-157457
EDIT2: You can ofcourse suggest other SSDs too, which shouldn't be a lot more expensive.
EDIT3: Found alot of reviews on 330 too, it seems like a very good SSD, why is it so cheap ? :D

Last edited:

josephjpeters

Nov 27, 2012
You should get a 256GB drive if you can afford it and I'd suggest looking at the Samsung 840 or Vertex 4.

The 840 will be your cheapest option because it uses TLC but unless you're writing more than 10GB a day (unlikely) NAND endurance won't be a problem. The Vertex 4 has a 5 year warranty and uses higher quality MLC NAND and is reasonable these days. It's been out on the market for a while now but uses newer tech than the ones you suggested. The reviews seem to indicate it's a pretty reliable drive too.

If I had to pick the M4 or the 330 I'd probably go with the M4 because Sandforce has a history of being more problematic (even if it's an Intel).

The 330 is probably on sale because it's being replaced with the 335 which uses 20nm MLC (instead of 25nm MLC).

Razersoda

Sep 14, 2012
You should get a 256GB drive if you can afford it and I'd suggest looking at the Samsung 840 or Vertex 4.

The 840 will be your cheapest option because it uses TLC but unless you're writing more than 10GB a day (unlikely) NAND endurance won't be a problem. The Vertex 4 has a 5 year warranty and uses higher quality MLC NAND and is reasonable these days. It's been out on the market for a while now but uses newer tech than the ones you suggested. The reviews seem to indicate it's a pretty reliable drive too.

If I had to pick the M4 or the 330 I'd probably go with the M4 because Sandforce has a history of being more problematic (even if it's an Intel).

The 330 is probably on sale because it's being replaced with the 335 which uses 20nm MLC (instead of 25nm MLC).

The problem is that I would never use 256GB. I would put Windows and some games on there. The maximum space I have ever used is ~200gb. Windows and the games will be total ~100GB if even that... It wouldn't be much of a point for me to get 256GB one. I usually uninstall games if I finish them or get bored...

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Look at this, each firmware upgrade its gotten faster and faster and look at this, Ive gotten 540mbps before too with seq read. OR maybe mines high cuz im using 512k cluster size. thx gl
proof

M4.jpg

Last edited:

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
I'd get the Intel 330 or Samsung 830/840 depending which one is cheaper.

M4 is old and the number of firmware updates it's getting recently is a worry. Maybe my opinion of it would be better if not for my M4 locking up a few days ago. (Used the reset trick to get it working)

Last edited:

JerYnkFan

Apr 18, 2006
I just got the Intel 330 240GB from NCIX for 150. I love the Intel toolbox so I'd highly recommend the Intel drive. Samsung has a similar type software.

mlc

Jan 22, 2005
really a coin flip... between M4, 330 and 830 based on research i did.. Just be sure to get latest firmware..

I opted for the 330 on both mine (180 GB ) and my wifes setup.. Intel SSD toolbox is great..

One Note: there have been some reported compatibility issues with runnin INtel SSD Toolbox (Optimizer function) on an AMD based chipset.. but they can be addressed with ATA controller driver update.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
SSD 330 is slightly slower than the M4. Both are very reliable, so if both are at nearly the same price I'd go for the M4.

Of course, if you can catch a Samsung SSD 830 at the same price that's a better deal given it's faster than both and even more reliable.

johny12

Sep 18, 2012

No idea why you are saying this. currently I am using intel 330 , I haven't seen any issues till now. I hope sandforce and Intel fixed all bugs with their series of firmware updates

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
I had to do the power cycle like 6 times. Drive got lost with that firmware and needed to do a power cycle and then bios recognizes it. They fixed that UEFI bug with firmware. The latest firmware 040h is solid, stable and fast. M500 is 500mbps then what about this result, btw Im runnin 512k cluster size.
M4.jpg

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I walked into MicroCenter wanting to buy an 840, but all they had were the kits with migration stuff I don't need, so I ended up buying a 330. No regrets so far.