Question Crucial External SSD stopped showing up!

rf4cphantom

Sep 28, 2022
Hi everyone,

I've just moved over from a Late 2015 iMac running Mojave to a new Mac Mini M1 Monterey.

My grief is as follows:

On the old system I was running a:
Crucial MX200 2.5 SSD 1000GB 6Gb/s

mounted in a:
Inateck FE2007 USB 3.0 TO SATA6G Enclosure

Until the day of transfer it was working perfectly on the old machine but
when I plugged it into the new Mini, it doesn't even show up!

I tried
a) different USB ports
b) different SATA cable
c) replaced enclosure with new one
d) Checked out the Mac System Report before and after a reboot

It's as if it doesn't exist! Hardware and device scans
don't show the drive or the enclosure.

The last recall was that it was all working fine on the old mac running Mojave.
Could the change to Monterey on the old Mac and the new Mini "seem" possible(?).

I don't mind having to buy a new SSD, but I really need a DIY way of recovering the data!

I wondered if anyone had some thoughts?

Anything would be appreciated!

Best wishes to all,

Jim

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Does it work with the old system still? Transfer the files over the network.

As for a new enclosure check out acasis as they're the best TB4 option I found that hit max speeds when paired with a SN770 drive. 3GB/s in both directions.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
As Tech Junky mentioned try it with the old system and see if it works.

I had a PNY CS900 do the same thing although it was an internal drive. It was in my son's PC, used as the boot drive. It worked fine one day, he played games and all was well. He turned off the PC that night. The next day it wouldn't boot. The drive did appear in the BIOS though. I removed it from the PC and tried plugging it into another PC via an adapter. Nothing.

rf4cphantom

Sep 28, 2022
Unfortunately no! When I upgraded from imac to the mini, I used the Apple Support advice which was basically an idiot proof "Just agree and obey, everytime we tell to to press a key!" I did so, and for reason I don't understand, it upgraded the Mojave OS to Monterey and only then started to transfer files to the new mini running Monterey too. I can't be certain but I think that's when I lost the Crucial, which is why I'm wondering if Monterey had a part in this. As I stand, the mini doesn't react to plugging in the sdd. I might as well be plugging in a sandwich! No reaction at all and nor does it show in disk utility. Could I ask your opinion on an idea, worth a shot or complete waste of time. I hate to have to do it, but if I hauled the old imac back onto my desk and tried to reinstall Mojave (I believe I can do that) would I stand a change of the Crucial reappearing? I'd be happy just to get the data back, even if I can't continue to use the Crucial? Thanks to you guys for giving me your time. Kindest wishes, Jim

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not a MAC guy, but I don't see why upgrading from one version of the OS to another would affect your ability to see the drive.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I'm not a MAC guy, but I don't see why upgrading from one version of the OS to another would affect your ability to see the drive.
I agree but, there's always a chance of something funky. So, one thing comes to mind. Make a Linux boot USB and boot the old Mac from it and see if Linux picks up the drive and allows access. If it does then grab your data and then you can play around a bit with the crucial and see if reinitializing it will make it work in the enclosure again.

rf4cphantom

Sep 28, 2022
I see both points! Why would an OS change cause something like this. However, having used Apple since 2015, nothing would surprise me! I'm old enough to remember Windows 1.0! I had my complaints with Windows, but if you were willing to research and learn, you could do most anything! With Apple products, it always seems to be "Apple's will must be done!" I've no clue about Linux, but I'll read up on Google and try Tech Junky's suggestion and see what happens. Getting the data is more important than saving the drive. Guys, thank you so much for all the time you've dedicated! I'll come back and report what happens in a while. Thnanks once again and kindest wishes, Jim

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Mac is Linux but a pig with lipstick and the pricetag to match. A good chunk of Linux commands work in Mac to terminal as well. The hw beside of Mac is when the pain comes into play usually being more captive in what you can have access to.

The USB option just unlocks things and let's you take control of the disk. Linux though does have different options depending on the CPU being used. If it's Intel or arm or something else you need to pick the right image to get it to work.

All you need to do is download and burn with Rufus to make it bootable. I'm sure there's a program in Mac though too that will let you burn an image. Getting it to boot might require some key sequence though. Once it boots up though just hit the apple key and type disks and look to see if the drive shows up in the list.ifbitbdo we then click on it and hit the play button to mount it and click the link to open the folder. Mount the internal drive too to copy the data to it. Then you're done.

rf4cphantom

Sep 28, 2022
Brilliant, thank you so much! I'll weave this in with "essential work" and get it done and report back. Maybe there's an end to this afterall! Thank you so much Jim