Crowd-Funded Presidential Campaign Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Fact: Voting for R or D is not a vote at all. You're voting for the establishment and to keep the puppets of the 1% elite in power.

Fact: The voting populous is pissed and wants more options.

Idea: Could the right Independent person ... a modern-day 'Ron Paul' or 'Ross Perot' ... successfully bypass the traditional system and raise over $1 Billion through crowd-funding and put on a successful counter-campaign and get her- or himself on the ballot in all 50 states? Would this be a way for all of us to say a big F-U to the establishment?

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
They do crowd funding already. You can easily donate to your party or candidate through their websites. I think the power of something like Kickstarter could come in for battleground cities on smaller issues like banning marijuana dispensaries and such.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
lol. What do you think crowdfunding is? It already exists and is transferred to R's and D's in huge numbers.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I think both R and D should be classified as a terroristic groups and should be prosecuted to the fullest. They have both fucked up this country much more than any other group has.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Fact: Voting for R or D is not a vote at all. You're voting for the establishment and to keep the puppets of the 1% elite in power.

Fact: The voting populous is pissed and wants more options.

Idea: Could the right Independent person ... a modern-day 'Ron Paul' or 'Ross Perot' ... successfully bypass the traditional system and raise over $1 Billion through crowd-funding and put on a successful counter-campaign and get her- or himself on the ballot in all 50 states? Would this be a way for all of us to say a big F-U to the establishment?

Well, there are an awful lot of campaign contribution laws and requirements. Accordingly, I doubt one could use Crowdfunding to raise campaign contributions.

Of course internet 'ads' can be used to solicit campaign contributions, but IMO that's different. I guess it depends upon one's definition of "Crowdfunding".

Fern

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Current laws make this very difficult. There is too much money in the government. I really hope something can be done to reverse what is an extremely injurious trend for democracy in this country.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
republic-lost-cover-329x500.jpg

TED Talk Transcript

... Well, here are the numbers from 2010: .26 percent of America gave 200 dollars or more to any federal candidate, .05 percent gave the maximum amount to any federal candidate, .01 percent -- the one percent of the one percent -- gave 10,000 dollars or more to federal candidates, and in this election cycle, my favorite statistic is .000042 percent &#8212; for those of you doing the numbers, you know that's 132 Americans &#8212; gave 60 percent of the Super PAC money spent in the cycle we have just seen ending. So I'm just a lawyer, I look at this range of numbers, and I say it's fair for me to say it's .05 percent who are our relevant funders in America.

Now, what can we say about this democracy in USA-land?
Professor Lessig's point is that US elections are funded through a legally corrupt process...

I believe him.

Watch his TED talk. Read his books and essays, you'll believe him too...

Uno

Feb 4, 2009
You might be able to start a super pac but I believe campaign contribution limits & tracking would make this difficult. I'd like to see a constitutional amendment brought up by the states to limit money in politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.