Crossover Cable between win98 and winXP

ButtersStotch

Dec 26, 2002
What are the exact steps to connect two computers with a crossover cable? The XP machine is NTFS and the win98 is fat 32 but I can't get them to see on another...I think it's something on the XP side as I can at least get the win98 one to show up in the network neighborhood. I want to send all my data to my new computer just in case something goes wrong by physically putting the old data only drive in the new system as a second drive. I tried giving them IP addresses and the subnet...I must still be doing something wrong...both network cards light up when the cable is put in (tried two different cables just in case). Zone alarm is shutdown on the win98 one as is the firewall in XP. Any ideas? I mean, I know maybe the win98 might see the computer on the network just not be able to access it, but the XP one should have now problem browsing the win98 one I assume. Thanks.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
To set Sharing between your computers.

Important For the purpose of the initial setting, disable all software Firewall (including WinXP native
ICF); disable any active Virus scan or any other utility that might intercept Network Traffic.

If you are not concern about internal security WinXP has a fast simple method of sharing, no user permissions and no passwords.

Windows XP Simple File Sharing

WinXP Pro has an additional more secure method:

Windows XP Professional File Sharing.

XP File Sharing Trouble

Win98 Sharing:

AanadTech - FAQ. Networking and sharing between computers.

Green Man

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
What I.P. addresses did you give them? They must both have the same NetID but different Host ID.
Make sure that the workgroup names are the same.
make sure you can ping one computer from the other.
insert the XP disk in the 98 computer and from the setup screen select configure this computer to network with windows xp (or something like that. )
Enable file and print sharing on both computers.