Crossing the border from US (michigan) to Canada

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
I'm thinking about buying a large-ish item off of eBay from a guy in Canada. I'm living in Michigan. Do I need a valid passport to cross, nowadays? I haven't been therein a while, and I'm not a US citizen. Also, will I have to declare the item (large furniture) when I go back and forth?

Izzo

May 30, 2003
Michigan.gov

The Blue Water Bridge is an international crossing between the United States of America and the nation of Canada. As you enter either country you will be stopped and questioned prior to entry into that country. Each person in your vehicle must be able to prove their citizenship. Proof of citizenship consists of a valid passport. For Americans and Canadians crossing the border this is not required, a birth certificate, with photo ID license, will be sufficient. Any children must have a birth certificate as well, and if they are someone else's child, a letter of authorization from the parent or legal guardian.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Passport or proof that yours is in the works. That said, I was able to get into Canada and back into the US this summer, driving via Detroit/Windsor, by showing my birth certificate (Canadian) and my Green Card (American).

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: iamme
I'm thinking about buying a large-ish item off of eBay from a guy in Canada. I'm living in Michigan. Do I need a valid passport to cross, nowadays? I haven't been therein a while, and I'm not a US citizen. Also, will I have to declare the item (large furniture) when I go back and forth?

Make sure you have your passport with you and that your US visa is current. If you any concern at all, ask before you step off US soil. Getting back into the US could be a problem if there is any question about your visa status in the US.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: NiteWulf
Birth certificate will work until January, when you will need a passport

No, for CANAM citizens that was pushed back to June. Though Congress originally gave the State Department 'till 2009 for land crossings, as I recall, so even June is only a revised goal at this point.

But since the OP is an auslander they really should check in with the US border office before approaching same in Canada to be assured of hassle-free return, as ironwing said. Then again, without proper documentation they would risk being detained sooner than later. So, be as certain as possible of your docs beforehand.