Crossfire question

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Do cards need to be clocked at the same speed to run in crossfire? I have a 5850 o/c'ed to the balls. Thinking about picking up an open box for crossfire but may not be able to o/c it as well. Tks.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Your 5850 isn't overclocked to the balls! :\

I believe it'll throttle the faster card down to the lower cards speed to answer your question.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Do cards need to be clocked at the same speed to run in crossfire?

No..crossfire can be enabled even if both cards operate at different speeds.

I believe it'll throttle the faster card down to the lower cards speed to answer your question.

No, it does not. They don't throttle down.. they just operate at their specified speeds.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hmm...three responses, three different answers. One way to find out I suppose.

1h4x4s3x

Mar 5, 2010
Hm.. I thought so too, that the faster card will be automatically throttled down to match the slower card.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
^ Responants above with crossfire systems can check for themselves.

In my experience, setting different clock speeds does not prevent crossfire. Monitoring crossfired cards with different clock speeds using GPUz does not show any throttling of the faster card's clock speed. Cards carry out their individual role by Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR).

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
^ Responants above with crossfire systems can check for themselves.

In my experience, setting different clock speeds does not prevent crossfire. Monitoring crossfired cards with different clock speeds using GPUz does not show any throttling of the faster card's clock speed. Cards carry out their individual role by Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR).

Only one way to find out like the OP said....Guess he's gonna try :)

Would be kinda interesting if it would effect framerates if they run out of sync....Seems like the faster card would be waiting for the slower card to catch up anyways.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Hm.. I thought so too, that the faster card will be automatically throttled down to match the slower card.
Not for years. You can set each clock (memory and core) separately. :p

SLI also allows for mixing and matching of clock speeds since last year.
Would be kinda interesting if it would effect framerates if they run out of sync....Seems like the faster card would be waiting for the slower card to catch up anyways.
i wrote a series on CrossFire scaling; PM me if you are interested in FrankenFire. It is very efficient. There is no "waiting" at all.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Not for years. You can set each clock (memory and core) separately. :p

SLI also allows for mixing and matching of clock speeds since last year.

i wrote a series on CrossFire scaling; PM me if you are interested in FrankenFire. It is very efficient. There is no "waiting" at all.

Think you could just post it here? Seems like an item of general interest. From my understanding was that it would scale down to the lower clocked card, but I was told that when xfire first came out so maybe things have changed.

1h4x4s3x

Mar 5, 2010
Surprising, really. Just recently I read an article about it, granted, was quite a few moons old.
/throwsoldknowledgeoverboard :thumbsup:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Think you could just post it here? Seems like an item of general interest. From my understanding was that it would scale down to the lower clocked card, but I was told that when xfire first came out so maybe things have changed.
i have been testing CrossFireX since 2900XT days. That is when mixing and matching of cards began. i ran a 2900Pro and a 2900XT at XT speeds; i could also set the clocks independently.

i cannot post links to my own reviews and article - although anyone else can
-- AT forum rules.
():)

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Well the open box deal ran out while I was thinking it over. I was looking at the current high end vs. crossfiring my 5850. Seems the top-of-line cards get you maybe 10-15% improvement at most over what I have now. Definitely not worth $300+. What would I expect from adding on another 5850 for about $130-$150?

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
^ You have the set-up to handle it, and even without your big GPU overclock, 2x 5850 will get you big increases in framerates (usual disclaimers apply). That is likely to lead to you trying out all sort of different detail & AA settings until you hit the 1GB barrier. Check your case layout for dual video card cooling though! :)