Crossfire Problems

Indyboy2

Mar 14, 2005
Havin a hell of a time getting crossfire to work on my rig i just put together im hopeing someone with a similar system can help.I just bought 1 visiontek 4850 a few days back and just bought another one today removed current 8.6 driver set installed second card and reinstalled Cat 8.6 and it has just been a nightmare.First the crossfireX checkbox was not there so i uninstalled used driver cleaner and reinstalled poof there it was so i checked it hit apply and check the settings again.Well i went into crossfire diagnostics and there is nothing there BLANK!!So i goto device manager and look there and it list two cards seperate well im thinking to myself great at least im moving forward here vista sees them.So back into Cat Control Center look in overdrive and it has two seperate cards listed.So now im stuck i have reinstalled and uninstalled the software and drivers multiple times now im sick of it.I installed the 4850 hotfix and that did not help.I tried to run 3dmark Advantage but it is all artifacts in the Jane Nash Part so i aborted it with a wopping 5fps per second if anybody has any ideas please help.Power supply is a hx620 Corsair,Motherboard is a asus p5qPro

If i posted in the wrong forum sorry mod please move it

Indyboy2

Mar 14, 2005
Is anybody using a p5q-Pro in crossfire mode successfully?Just wondering if its a driver issue or what i see around the net people are using cat 8.2 yet because its the only stable one around .I have to say one thing i had a nforce 4 sli with two 6800 ultras a while back and i never had a problem with sli all that much but it seems like crossfire is a pita and never seems to work right

jasonja

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Have you tried other applications besides Vantage?

There is a known problem with 3DMark Vantage that requires a reboot after enabling or disabling Crossfire. If you fail to do this you will get giant waves and other corruption during Jane Nash. If you reboot the problem will not occur. Vantage has some logic to detect the number of cards in the machine and there is something wrong with this code that requires a reboot in order for it to correctly detect the number of cards.

p.s. You can't use 8.2 or anything older than what you have as they don't support the 4850. Use the hotfix driver, it's what the press and other users are using.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Crossfire Diagnostic never says anything it is meant to be blank if it's working, sounds like you have it all enabled not to worry. Make sure you run 3Dmark vantage with the 4800 hotfix drivers (uninstall current drivers via the ATI uninstall utility first, then use Guru3d Driversweeper, then reboot and install the hotfix). Also make sure you have Vantage up to date- I remember Futuremark released a patch soon after release aswell. But still, see sig to see what I think about 3Dmark, have you tried any games?

Indyboy2

Mar 14, 2005
thanks i am useing 8.6 drivers and i have rebooted i am going to try some other demos but like i said the crossfire diagnostic page is empty it shows nothing just seems strange and even choose rendering modes also is says linked mode is false in the futuremark vantage systems info screen

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Indyboy2
thanks i am useing 8.6 drivers and i have rebooted i am going to try some other demos but like i said the crossfire diagnostic page is empty it shows nothing just seems strange and even choose rendering modes

See what I mentioned above, that is normal it doesn't ever say anything. Rendering modes is selected in the driver via Catalyst AI, the user cannot select it manually (usually 'Advanced' forces AFR).

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Indyboy2
thanks i am useing 8.6 drivers and i have rebooted i am going to try some other demos but like i said the crossfire diagnostic page is empty it shows nothing just seems strange and even choose rendering modes also is says linked mode is false in the futuremark vantage systems info screen

you STILL NEED TO INSTALL THE HOTFIX. try that and report back.

Indyboy2

Mar 14, 2005
Ok here is what i did removed catalyst 8.6 and removed one card and booted back into vista.Installed catalyst 8.6 hotfix with one card removed and shutdown.Installed second card and booted into vista installed futuremark vantage patch and enabled crossfire and rebooted.Ran vantage and it seemed to be working scored 10,325 so i guess its working.Thanks guys for the help