Crossfire disabled "Can't switch between Intel and AMD cards"

creepingdeath66

Aug 22, 2013
On my new computer (hp Probook 4740s), I have two cards "AMD Radeon HD 7650M" and "Intel HD Graphics 4000".
I removed Windows 8 professional and installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
I downloaded and installed the driver from the official HP site which includes the installation of catalyst control center.
In catalyst I can see the only Intel card and can't see the "Performance tab".
GPU-Z crashes but showed me the ati interface in which ATI crossfire is disabled.
I tried installing different versions of CCC, flashing the bios, reinstall driver, add permission to ATI registry, even reinstalling windows

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
What exactly are you trying to do? You cannot 'crossfire' an AMD card with onboard Intel (or indeed, any non-AMD) graphics! Further, you should usually disable onboard altogether (from BIOS) when you have a discrete graphics card installed.

creepingdeath66

Aug 22, 2013
I'm trying to switch from Intel to ATI card
It can be activated from the Catalyst's performance tab which is invisible for me

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Ok. And have you or have you not disabled Intel/onboard VGA from BIOS? If not you should. If you have then something is wrong. You should not be seeing Intel onboard graphics in Catalyst.

Also, the Intel 4000 is not a 'card.' It's graphics functionality built into the motherboard, for use on systems that do not have a discrete graphics card

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Scratch my original post. I see you have a laptop.

I assume you are trying to use AMD's switching technology (Similar to nVidia optimus) so that a program uses the AMD GPU instead of the Intel? Thats the only type of switching thats going to happen on a laptop.

Last edited:

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Scratch my original post. I see you have a laptop.

I assume you are trying to use AMD's switching technology (Similar to nVidia optimus) so that a program uses the AMD GPU instead of the Intel? Thats the only type of switching thats going to happen on a laptop.

This. AMD's intelligent switching is using the onboard video for the desktop. It will automatically switch to the discrete card when you run a 3D application.

It sucks at switching, doesn't always detect 3D applications as 3D applications (thus forcing you to use the intel integrated when you dont want to), and is all around a crappy experience. Unlike Nvidia Optimus, there is no feature in the AMD Catalyst drivers to *force* the discrete card to be used for everything, the only real way to do this is with a custom bios or a physical hardware switch typically only installed on high end gaming laptops.

creepingdeath66

Aug 22, 2013
I changed to uncheck an option named "Intel(R) HT Technology" under Device Configuration Menu on BIOS.
I restarted and nothing happened Catalyst always show only intel.
I tried (before doing those changes on bios) disabling it in Device Manager but it also removed ati driver. Should I retry ?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
As I said, most laptops don't let you disable the integrated GPU.

Will you please be more clear as to what you are trying to do? Is there a reason you want the more power hungry GPU running all the time?

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
I changed to uncheck an option named "Intel(R) HT Technology" under Device Configuration Menu on BIOS.
I restarted and nothing happened Catalyst always show only intel.
I tried (before doing those changes on bios) disabling it in Device Manager but it also removed ati driver. Should I retry ?

HT = HyperThreading technology, a feature of the CPU, not GPU. Re-enable it.

If you cannot figure out how to disable onboard VGA from BIOS, then yes, disable it from Device Manager. Don't worry if it removes the AMD/ATI driver, you can re-install it.

Again, PLEASE SPECIFY exactly what it is you're trying to accomplish here, as without this information we're playing a guessing game, and the game is getting less fun with each post. I just may decide to throw in the towel and hit the showers.

pawan2anu

Sep 21, 2013
I also had a similar problem ...

Goto http://leshcatlabs.net/
Download either
Leshcat’s Catalyst 13.8 Beta I UnifL for AMD+Intel Powered Laptops
or

Leshcat’s Catalyst 13.6 Beta 2 UnifL for AMD+Intel Powered Laptops

and see which one works for you latest one has a glitch on my laptop (it disables my laptop ability to change the brightness; but the package contains the fix for the same if u can do it)

NOTE: After downloading the above disconnect your internet so as to prevent your windows from downloading some other drivers. Then, uninstall all the drivers amd , intel and even delete the drivers from the device manager.

I hope all your problems will be solved
you will be able to switch gpu easily with all the settings......enjoy...:)