Crops rot as workers vanish to avoid crackdown

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Americans won't do these jobs... and these jobs pay ok at $15 an hour.

Because our education system is trash and tries to shove every kid into college, whether it would benefit them or not. The high school curriculum needs a major overhaul. They need to spend at least half the student's educational life teaching them how to properly care for themselves when they become adults (creating a balanced budget, cooking healthy meals, understanding insurance, etc), the viable career paths, foundations of a healthy and successful country. The illegals fleeing the farms should've been a good thing as it opened up a lot of jobs for legal US residents, but the preparation wasn't there for those people to fill the jobs, which would have resulted in lower unemployment, more taxes to the government, healthier economy.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I disagree, they only respect those jobs when there is a problem. If these types of jobs are more respected, then the system would be more encouraging in pushing people in that direction. Everyone wants to get into college and get any sort of degree, even useless ones, because that is the "respected" path. If you don't go to college, there must be something wrong with you. College isn't necessary to succeed, college isn't necessary to make a good living, but people don't preach this these days.

Agreed - or when its someone else doing it (not for me\my kid). In politics you have political figures saying you can't be successful without a college degree, on TV popular programming have episodes portraying not going to college as traumatic, schools are ranked by and evaluated as 'great' based on how many of their graduates go on to college. It's not always overt but its a systemic problem

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
related article from #fakenews latimes

Wages rise on California farms. Americans still don’t want the job

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-farms-immigration/

lol:

Indeed, Chalmers R. Carr III, the president of Titan Farms, a South Carolina peach giant, told lawmakers at a 2013 hearing that he advertised 2,000 job openings from 2010 through 2012. Carr said he was paying $9.39, $2 more than the state’s minimum wage at the time.

“You don’t need a deep analysis to understand why farm work wouldn’t be attractive to young Americans”— Philip Martin, agriculture expertSHARE THIS QUOTE
He hired 483 U.S. applicants, slightly less than a quarter of what he needed; 109 didn’t show up on the first day. Another 321 of them quit, “the vast majority in the first two days,” Carr testified. Only 31 lasted for the entire peach season.

Last edited:

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
I disagree, they only respect those jobs when there is a problem. If these types of jobs are more respected, then the system would be more encouraging in pushing people in that direction. Everyone wants to get into college and get any sort of degree, even useless ones, because that is the "respected" path. If you don't go to college, there must be something wrong with you. College isn't necessary to succeed, college isn't necessary to make a good living, but people don't preach this these days.

Education is very important for human progress, whether you become successful in the end being a business person or plumber, it really doesn't matter. They only respect those jobs when there's a problem? Welcome to the working world. No one gives a shit about the hedgefund manager either.

You didn't specify, but you just called some degrees useless, that's hypocrisy in it's finest. It's fine if you want your kids to grow up to be borderline special eds with as little education as possible, but please dont preach like it's actually a good thing for humans. It's not, never will be.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Farmers hiring illegals, and using that savings as the basis for their profit margin, is a lot like a hypothetical engineering firm using pir8ted software, and finally being busted by the BSA.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I agree that MOST Americans don't want the farm jobs...not just because they don't pay great, but also because they're not great jobs. (although, for some, ANY job is better than NO job)
For me, this argument isn't so much about "OMG! The illegals are taking jobs away from 'Muricans!" as it is about illegal vs. legal immigration.

A well run, properly set-up guest worker problem could solve MOST of the problems...and provide workers for the farms with well-vetted, properly screened workers.

As it is now, there's no criminal records being checked, no health screening, nothing.
(and remember, ILLEGAL immigrants are bringing diseases back to the USA that had been eradicated here long ago.

http://www.jpands.org/vol10no1/cosman.pdf

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Education is very important for human progress, whether you become successful in the end being a business person or plumber, it really doesn't matter. They only respect those jobs when there's a problem? Welcome to the working world. No one gives a shit about the hedgefund manager either.

You didn't specify, but you just called some degrees useless, that's hypocrisy in it's finest. It's fine if you want your kids to grow up to be borderline special eds with as little education as possible, but please dont preach like it's actually a good thing for humans. It's not, never will be.

Do you even know what you are posting? Education is important for human progress, but guess what, reality shows that not everyone wants that education or is fit for that education. Not everyone are fit become doctors and lawyers, some kids can't even graduate grade school without the bar set so low. Do you know why Asian countries are seen as more successful? They have extremely difficult tests to get to the next level. Those who aren't smart enough are weeded out by the system there, the downside is that there is a lot of depression due to failure. Their mentality is similar to ours but to an extreme degree, where if you don't successfully get into a good school, you are a disgrace in society. In the US though, we have the opportunity where what may be seen as a failure in say Japan, the kid here who doesn't pass a difficult test to get into a good high school or college, they can go into trade work. Jobs like farming, construction, welding, truck driving, etc. should be presented as viable and respected jobs that doesn't make you less of a person. And there is a lot more opportunity for that work here in the US due to our size than in a smaller country like Japan.

And you are wrong about no one gives a shit about hedgefund managers. They make movies out of people like that. Wolf of Wall Street, The Big Short, etc. They make it known that if you want to make big bucks, go into Wall Street, you become super rich and wealthy, you live like a king. And there are definitely useless degrees out there that a lot of kids get, then end up not being able to find a well paying job, not being able to pay off their college debt, not being able to give themselves a good living because of all the debt and lack of income. If you don't believe that, then you definitely aren't looking outside. If that kid, instead of getting a paper diploma that does nothing for him, instead was ushered into a trade, he would be making good money being able to support himself and even a family without the crushing student debt.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
The greedy bastard should never have hired illegal workers to begin with. The bad thing about this is the poorer people, like me (think "$20 a week for groceries" here...) are gonna take it in the shorts even harder. There's only so many times a girl can eat rice'n'beans in a week before it gets tiresome.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I like how y'all just conveniently ignore the article that explains why it's so hard to find people to fill these positions.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
uhm, if you read the article posted march 17, 2017, you will see that the problem is current.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I keep hearing that. Constantly calling me dumb. Wtf am I even doing here. I've got viewpoints you don't agree with, I might as well just abandon the place and leave y'all to your echo chambers. You people truly are childish, same vein as Trumpkins.
Stay and keep ignoring what you don't want to hear. Or go and keep ignoring what you don't want to hear, makes no difference.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I know the problem is current. I am saying the article in the op was old, and some posters were dismissing it.

just shows the need for a guest worker program has been around for a LONG time... :D

w3rd

Mar 1, 2017
This is a fallacy propagated by wealthy southern mega agriculture companies. As farmers in the north & east part of the Country dont use migrant workers & pay higher wages.

These Southern companies are just too use to cheap labor & big profits.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
The greedy bastard should never have hired illegal workers to begin with. The bad thing about this is the poorer people, like me (think "$20 a week for groceries" here...) are gonna take it in the shorts even harder. There's only so many times a girl can eat rice'n'beans in a week before it gets tiresome.
How much food do you think you'd be able to buy for $20 if prices were adjusted to pay wages that might attract "legal" workers (not to mention the cost of "adjusting" working conditions to suit even the least "picky" first-world types who don't actually have an aversion to hard manual labor day-in-and-day out? America has among the (if not the) lowest food costs on a percentage-of-income basis in the world, and it sure as hell ain't 'cos our agricultural industry is so "efficient" (except perhaps when it comes to hiring the illegal ag workers that have been the backbone of the US ag industry for many decades now. To say this is "nothing new" is a gross understatement...)

Last edited:

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
God knows, Mike :/ That's what's so utterly shit about this whole thing. It's the agriculture equivalent of what happens when a Walmart moves into a small town and puts all the mom and pop stores out of business, drives wages down to the seventh circle of Hell, gets everyone so poor they can't shop anywhere else, then ups stakes and moves on.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
That guy needs to ante up some cash and get one of these.

Yeah, if you're selling your tomatoes for tomato/spaghetti sauce. Those machines don't work for all kinds of tomatoes and they sure aren't the fresh ones that you buy in the produce section.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Soooo, what's he's saying is, the compensation wasn't enough to hire good, reliable labor to do the job.. Almost like capitalistic supply / demand skew is way off.

Maybe he should do something about that.

It was good enough, actually. Not good enough for Americans accustomed to meaningless government jobs and/or social bennies, but good enough to make a living off of.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Frankly, I'm amazed that more legal Americans don't want produce picking jobs, what with all the travel one gets to do being a migrant picker and all. I'd think just the adventure of traveling across states, living in your car would be so attractive.....who wouldn't want that life?