cron molding ... outside corners

Sep 29, 2004
Everything is cut perfectly... everything is going to line up fine. I'm taking a break prior to actual nailing my crowns up and I am wondering if I should glue the outside joints or just make sure they are tight and then nail ... relying 100% on the nails to keep things tight over time.

Anyone know which way to go?

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: dartworth
I've never glued them...

If it is tight on both ends, where can it go...

Curious as to what might happen 20 years down the road is all.

Thanks for the answer and thanks for not pointing out my spelling error ('cron' in title)

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
I've never glued them...

Thanks for the answer and thanks for not pointing out my spelling error ('cron' in title)
They don't support any weight so they will be fine. 20 years from now, if they are seperating, it'll be very easy to fix.

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Rastus
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
I've never glued them...

They don't support any weight so they will be fine. 20 years from now, if they are seperating, it'll be very easy to fix.

Very good point.

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
I glued mine. And what was posted above happened to the places that I did not, I will have to go back and fix four corners since they are now showing a small seperation.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Glue them, otherwise they will gap over time.

A good buddy of mine is a VERY good trim carpenter and it's his business. He's tought me all kinds of little tricks that make for a very good trim job. One big one is gluing the corners. He's amazing at what he does really.

JackRipper

Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Tsaico
I glued mine. And what was posted above happened to the places that I did not, I will have to go back and fix four corners since they are now showing a small seperation.

if ur crown molding is white/painted white u can use some white silicon as a filler for smaller gaps (like hairline gaps that u can see a dark shadowline) instead of pulling the whole thing out and renailing...

i use alot of the white silicon to hide gaps in baseboards and some framing corners like windows and doorways... of course all of these are painted white...

TH

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza
congrats on making good cuts :)
Crown molding is a pita sometimes. A nice compound miter saw makes it an easy job though.

Cope? You want the cope?

You can't handle the cope.

coping saw FTW.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: DrPizza
congrats on making good cuts :)
Crown molding is a pita sometimes. A nice compound miter saw makes it an easy job though.

Cope? You want the cope?

You can't handle the cope.

coping saw FTW.

The best method for inside corners is to run one piece into the crner, then cut the second piece at 45* and use the cut edge as a guide to cope it perfectly to fit

and you should glue and nail outside corners

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: JackRipper

if ur crown molding is white/painted white u can use some white silicon as a filler for smaller gaps (like hairline gaps that u can see a dark shadowline) instead of pulling the whole thing out and renailing...

i use alot of the white silicon to hide gaps in baseboards and some framing corners like windows and doorways... of course all of these are painted white...

TH

Don't ever use silicon on trim work, or siding, or around windows. You can't paint it.

I've hung several thousand feet of crown and never glued a miter. Also, crown doesn't shrink after being installed, it's kiln dried wood or MDF.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Greenman
Originally posted by: JackRipper

TH

Don't ever use silicon on trim work, or siding, or around windows. You can't paint it.

there are paintable silicone products

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
The best method for inside corners is to run one piece into the crner, then cut the second piece at 45* and use the cut edge as a guide to cope it perfectly to fit

and you should glue and nail outside corners

Yep. That's what I've always been tought. It's tough to get that perfect cope at first, but after a while it's easy.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005

I've hung several thousand feet of crown and never glued a miter. Also, crown doesn't shrink after being installed, it's kiln dried wood or MDF.

I fixed the crown molding in a funeral home that the long spans of painted pine shrunk nearly a 1/4 inch at the joints. Never seen it before or after but apparently it does happen.

Sep 29, 2004
Just finished .. no glue. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

This is qood trim for my kitchen cabinets. Not paintd white or anying, so fixing things might be tricky, even though I'm sure there are color matched fillers available for this type of problem.

Should have glued them seeing all the follow up posts, but it's to late for that.

It does look very good though. I am happy with the finish.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: bctbct

I fixed the crown molding in a funeral home that the long spans of painted pine shrunk nearly a 1/4 inch at the joints. Never seen it before or after but apparently it does happen.

They let it get wet before they hung it.
I once left the crown for a bathroom out in the rain before I hung it, I figured "how much could it shrink?" the answer is, a LOT! Had to pull it down and replace it.