Crock Pot Creations

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Everytime I have food that was cooked in a crock pot, it never tastes great to me. Chicken seems kinda gross, Rib meat seems alright but not like good ribs, in general, its like the slow cooking process takes meat and makes it stringy to me.

What do you make in crock pots that comes out good? Chili? Jambalaya? I'd like to know! Maybe post some recipes too for people! ATOT COOKS, UNTIE!

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Jambalaya.

The longer it cooks, the better it gets.

Just make sure you cook the chicken first so it's really, really soft, use real Andouille sausage, tiny shrimp (don't want the shrimp taking over the chunkiness of the jambalaya), fresh cayenne, Better Than Bouillon chicken base, tomato paste, worchestershire sauce and beer. Yum!

L

Lola

I would also suggest a stew or soup instead of a meat course as you mentioned. How about split pea soup? Or a white bean/chicken chili?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Any kind of pork or beef roast that is floured, seared and flavored. Add herbs and chopped veggies (onion, carrot, potatoe) and beef or chicken stock. Cover on low heat and it'll be delicious - if your meat is stringy or tough the temp is too high.

Make sure you heat the stock/veggies up to a boil before putting into slow cooker. Alternatively you can make a roux then add and slightly cook veggies before adding stock and then putting into slow cooker.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Pulled pork is always good. Stews. Chili. I'm not much of a fan of soups.

Never made any Jambalaya - have to give it a go one of these days.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
A couple of you have mentioned cooking the meat first instead of just throwing it in... Is that always necessary?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Any kind of pork or beef roast that is floured, seared and flavored. Add herbs and chopped veggies (onion, carrot, potatoe) and beef or chicken stock. Cover on low heat and it'll be delicious - if your meat is stringy or tough the temp is too high.

Make sure you heat the stock/veggies up to a boil before putting into slow cooker. Alternatively you can make a roux then add and slightly cook veggies before adding stock and then putting into slow cooker.

I usually slow cook my roast in them as well, just throw flour over it and let it brown. Cut up the veggies toss them in with a little beef bullion, water and some spices then let it cook over night. The following day the meat is usually so tender it will fall apart in your mouth.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
any time my mom has used a crock pot to make chicken, roast, stew, etc. it has been fantastic. pull-apart tender meat with tons of flavor.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Modeps
A couple of you have mentioned cooking the meat first instead of just throwing it in... Is that always necessary?

not necessary, but browning it before it goes in will usually give you a better flavor.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Everyone is talking about these ground sounding things, but how about some recipes?

I would love to hear some chili recipes. My recipe sucks.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Most common thing is probably beef, potatoes, carrots, etc in there. Let it cook for many hours and enjoy when it's done.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I take chicken wings (at least get the Purdue or whatever kind, not the big 5lb frozen bags) and throw them in there then cover with a bottle or two of spicy bbq sauce. Let it cook for a few hours. Works good for tailgating, cook them 90% of the way at home and then them to the game and warm everything up right in the crock pot using an inverter.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Originally posted by: Gibsons
Originally posted by: Modeps

not necessary, but browning it before it goes in will usually give you a better flavor.

Agreed.

Like with the jambalaya, I will usually sautee my onions and garlic before throwing them in. Chopped celery doesn't need to be sauteed.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
crockpot beef stew pwns all.

I just let it cook all day while I'm at work. when I get home I have a great hearty meal on a cold day.