Critique this setup for me

schnecke

Oct 2, 2009
My desktop is pitifully ancient (an Athlon XP 2600+ system), and I've finally started getting interested in games again. I'm a regular Anandtech reader but wanted some extra guidance from the forum on this build since it's been so long!

I'll be using this new system primarily for gaming: Bioshock, Fallout 3 and Racedriver GRID are first on my list. I will be gaming at a 1920x1200 resolution.

My budget is between $750 and $850.

I don't particularly have any brand loyalties.

I'm building just the tower - I already have a monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, aardvark.

I'm planning on buying the parts in about two weeks, and building a week before the end of October.

So here are my thoughts on parts!

CPU: Core i5 750 (mild overclocking?)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3P
GPU: Radeon HD 4870 1GB
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black
RAM: 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 MHz
PSU: Corsair 650W CMPSU-650TX
Optical: LG 22x DVD-RW

Thanks for any help. Let me know if I've accidentally omitted something.

Nov 26, 2005
Microcenter is the place to go to buy your CPU. Got my i7 920 D0 for 199$ before tax. My entire i7 platform; Asrock Extreme, 1333, & 920 cost a shy bit over 500$ it was the cheapest 1366 platform I could of come up with at the time.

If the difference is negligible between those two mb, cpu, & ram setups, i'd abandon the 1156 and stick with the X58 1366 platform.. reaching an overclock goal won't require sooner vcore on the 1366 than the i5 because of the on-die pcie controller.

TedSheckler

Oct 3, 2009
I'm building an i5 system as well. A less expensive board is the Gigabyte UD2, so long as you can find compatible memory (which I'm not sure is at this point) At Newegg.com As which apparently is quite capable if you desire to overclock it. Could shave a few dollars there. I imagine you do from your power supply?

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: schnecke
Critique this setup for me

So here are my thoughts on parts!

CPU: Core i5 750 (mild overclocking?)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3P
GPU: Radeon HD 4870 1GB
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black
RAM: 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 MHz
PSU: Corsair 650W CMPSU-650TX
Optical: LG 22x DVD-RW
I rate your build a 9 out of 10. :thumbsup::laugh:
I like the...
CPU,
MB,
Video card,
Memory,
HD

Even though the Corsair and LG are good options, I'd probably go with a PC Power & Cooling PS and Samsung burner.
I'd probably add a good cooler to the processor also. I prefer the Down Blowing type heatsinks, to help cool the area of the MB surrounding the CPU socket.

schnecke

Oct 2, 2009
Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, the closest Microcenter to me is a couple of states away...oh, the frustration when I found that out. I think that keeps me out of the running for X58. Have any recommendations on a good heatsink for the LGA 1156? I don't historically make good aftermarket heatsink choices - my Athlon 2600 is cooled by a monstrous heatsink with an 80mm fan, so it's really loud. I'll look into some PCP&C PSUs and a Samsung burner in the meantime.