Critique this potential car audio set-up...

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Taking after advice I got from a couple of people here, this is what I think I'll get:

Head Unit: Alpine 7995 (I'll probably get an used one for ~$225)
Sub: Elemental Design e12O.44/14 - $195 (I'll build the box)
Amps: Sub - US Acoustics USX 800D / Speakers - US Acoustics USX 2150 (what's the best place to buy these?) (Sound Domain has the 2150 for $165)
Speakers: My cousin's Cougar just got rear-ended the other day, so I'll take over his 3-way Pioneer speakers. He has four of them, but I don't know if I'll use all of them or just two up front.

All of this is supposed to go into a 1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 V8.

For the trunk set-up, I'd really like to do something like this (see the last two pics).

So, what do you think? Decent? Should I make any changes?
Should I use two or four speakers? If four, should I use two two-channel amps (USX 2150s) or a single four-channel amp?
Any idea as to where to buy the amps cheaply?

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
I'd get a lesser speaker amp (something 50-75x2 is plenty) and spend more on better speakers..

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Viperoni
I'd get a lesser speaker amp (something 50-75x2 is plenty) and spend more on better speakers..

Got anything in mind?

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
I'd try to fit 5.25's or 6.5's in the front doors, something nice that'll provide good midbass reinforcement upfront. Adire Koda's come to mind :)

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I'd try to fit 5.25's or 6.5's in the front doors, something nice that'll provide good midbass reinforcement upfront. Adire Koda's come to mind :)
Thanks, I'll take a look at those... What's wrong with the Pioneers, BTW?

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by: IgoByte
Thanks, I'll take a look at those... What's wrong with the Pioneers, BTW?

They're OK, but there's much better out there.

Good choice on amps, i chose the 4065 for my speakers along with the 800d.
If i were you and you want the best SQ for the money in a HU, get eclipse. The one right now that plays mp3's looks bare bones and without frills but it has sq better than the alpine, but if you want frills go with the alpine. I have 2 EDk's with dual coils and love them, you wont be disappointed.
Last but CERTAINLY NOT least is plz do yourself another favor and get good speakers. Good components would really make all the difference in the world. CDT "classics"(components) are arguably the best for the money at THEZEB.com.

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Thanks guys... I'll look into all the recommendations, particularly the speakers...

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Hmmm... The CDT CL-61a look like a good deal at $150 shipped... Any opinions?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
very good. bang for buck.

in my sig, my component set, the vifa's, and tweeters, and x-overs are for sale.

component set, like the cl-61a are better at reproducing sound, than are co-axials.

sub is supposed to be very good. small box, low bass etc.

i also have my subs for sale LOL.

MIKE

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Will I only need one component set (two tweeters & two speakers) or do I need two (one for the back as well)?

I'm wondering if the cl-61 set will fit the Cougar... The stock speakers in it are kinda triangular, not round or oval. Obviously, I have no idea how these things are supposed to be installed...

Also, Mike, if you could just provide links to manufacturer's pages for the stuff you have for sale, it might be helpful...