Critique my resume

Mears

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2000
I have submitted my resume to a few listings and am starting to get the feeling that something needs to change with my resume. I am open to constructive criticism.

http://www.msu.edu/~joshd/resumeTemp.doc

*Note - I removed my contact info from the top of the page.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Wow you've achieved alot :) Can't find anything wrong with it, if I do I'll edit this.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
:thumbsup:

looks good to me; and while I know nothing about CE, programming, IT, etc...my suggestion is to design a new search algorithm and run Google out of town...gl, hehe.

or you could just apply for a job with them...

mh47g

May 25, 2007
The places you've applied to are probably looking for someone who has experience socializing with real people. Your resume implies that you probably do not :p

...Sorry.

Chewy

Oct 9, 1999
This is what I'd do:

1. Add dates for your education (ie. 1999 - 2003) on the same line (right aligned) as the university, and then remove the lines for date of [expected] graduation.

2. Remove "environments" because that's useless IMO (it's better to say where/how you used Linux/Unix/etc. in your jobs). If you want, put in "Applications" or "Software" and put those down

3. Delete "Selected"

4. Reformat your work experience section - I don't know why, but it seems kinda hard to read to me.

5. Right-align all your dates (they seem hidden)

6. Only adjust margins outside 1" norms if you need room

7. Delete "intense" under your 1st bullet of last work experience to keep it at one line

8. Sometimes its good to explain the "how" to certain things (ie. HOW did you assist students in becoming more efficient team players?)

9. Delete the last section and put "References available upon request" on a line by itself.

10. MSU Honors College Student seems redundant to me since you have a flawless GPA

11. Do you have any activities that aren't academic? Varsity sport, volunteer work?

I can prob come up with others :p

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Chewy
10. MSU Honors College Student seems redundant to me since you have a flawless GPA

Honors College != high GPA.

You can have a high GPA, but that does not mean you were in the honors program.

Chewy

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: tfinch2
I read it as he was a college student who had "MSU Honors", and not enrolled in some program. In my HS, if you had a GPA above X, you had "honors"...my GPA in college was just avg, so I never had that distinction.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: tfinch2

Honors College != high GPA.

yeah. Universities have different requirements to graduate with "Honors" status linked to a particular degree. While GPA is often a requirement to qualify for the honors track, that little ancillary title means that you completed an extra set of courses designed for honors ranking, or whatever the university required.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
I would take out "references: available upon request." No kidding? Of course you would provide them if you ask for it.

Mears

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2000
This is what I'd do:

1. Add dates for your education (ie. 1999 - 2003) on the same line (right aligned) as the university, and then remove the lines for date of [expected] graduation.

2. Remove "environments" because that's useless IMO (it's better to say where/how you used Linux/Unix/etc. in your jobs). If you want, put in "Applications" or "Software" and put those down

3. Delete "Selected"

4. Reformat your work experience section - I don't know why, but it seems kinda hard to read to me.

5. Right-align all your dates (they seem hidden)

6. Only adjust margins outside 1" norms if you need room

7. Delete "intense" under your 1st bullet of last work experience to keep it at one line

8. Sometimes its good to explain the "how" to certain things (ie. HOW did you assist students in becoming more efficient team players?)

9. Delete the last section and put "References available upon request" on a line by itself.

11. Do you have any activities that aren't academic? Varsity sport, volunteer work?

I can prob come up with others :p

Great suggestions. Thanks!

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
i dont think the reference upon request line in the end adds a lot of value.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Take out the part about references.

And I'd mix in a different font or different font size to mix it up a little bit.

I'd also go with a sans-serif font - I think they look more modern and professional.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
List work exp first

reformat the dates

use a better font & bullets

leave out refs.

Your main problem is that it looks boring, break up the monotony of your resume - it'll help you to get noticed

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
Judging from your GPA, you probably would want to keep doing that yourself ;).