Critique My Resume... please?

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Please critique my resume...

Any (harsh) criticism is fine as long as it helps.......

Version A

Version B
- removed relevant coursework section from version A
- added more spacing

which is better? i think that A looks better, but the relevant coursework stuff seems useless...

NachoCheeze

Banned
Dec 16, 2003
1. In my experience, "objective" is not usually needed
2. You got a bit heavy on the underlines. maybe weight them less? .5 thick instead of 1.5 thick? Also, make sure that your MAIN headings (i.e academic software projects, qualifications/skills, etc.) have a thicker underline than the subheads (i.e. raytheon, project in operating system organization, etc.) beneath them. You need to set them off somehow.
3. It flows well but I would take the bullet points and move them over just a tad bit so they are not directly beneath the first character on the line above them. Know what I mean?
4. The line beneath "education" doesnt go all the way across the screen.
5. Re-do your identity info:

Joey Anonymous
555 Boo St.,
Atlantis, CA 90210
Phone: 949.555.5555
E-mail: boo@boo.edu

NOT

Joey Anonymous
Phone: 949.555.5555
E-mail: boo@boo.edu
Address: 555 Boo St, Atlantis, CA 90210

also, perhaps include a cell phone #?

6. Under experience, you should say "worked" (past tense) because according to the timeframe listed above you have already concluded your time there.
7. The first line under "Raytheon" can be shortened so it all fits on one line. It looks messy if there's a one or two word hangover on the next line, IMO. Like so:

>· Worked with peers in developing a web-based content management system for clients from Raytheon
* Perhaps: "Worked to develop a web-based content management system for Raytheon clients."

8. Also, usually, I've heard its recommended that you put your education up at the top of the resume. Also, if you have any academic honors or impressive scores (i.e. 1400+ SAT or whatever) you may want to list those under education too.

HTH. GL.

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
I agree w/ what NachoCheeze said.

1) I might change the underlines so they don't go clear across the paper, and just cover the word. I think the underlines are also a wee bit to thick.

2) Definately change your contact info like nacho said.

3) Education to the top! Again nacho mentioned...

4) Objective can be important in some cases, but if you don't have room, i'd drop it. I just finished looking at a bunch of resumes for an intern we are going to hire... I only looked at education and work/programming experience. I never once read the objective.

5) Could you also maybe bullet the right column under Relavent Coursework? Maybe not, I'd do it and see what it looks like. who knows? :)

Good luck w/ the job search!

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Check the "Are you hiring?" portion of my sig to see my resume.

I will be removing that from my sig shortly as I am now thankfully employed.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

wow that's nice... i like those squared bullets... gotta look for those, and i couldn't figure out how to insert bullets on the right side of relevant coursework :(. i tried to insert a symbol of a bullet, but it was too small compared to the other bullets and didnt look as nice.

jayXTP

Banned
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

Congrats, from one Georgia Tech Alum to another :beer:

Gand1

Golden Member
Nov 17, 1999
In your Advanced computer networks area;

1. The word manually is a bit too obvious, otherwise how did you configure them.... by osmosis? Just get rid of that word and try to define the equiptment. Yes that matters.

2. How many machines did you network? 2, no big deal. 50? Awesome!

Content Management area;

1. What content management software was it? IE; Filenet, Saros, that other one pharmas always use (i forget)

2. What part did you help develop. Content management is huge as you already know and has many different needs.

OSes;

1. What version of Unix?

That's it for now. Hope it helps.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
thanks, actually i've looked at that resume quite a bit since last week in helping me create my resume :)
woulda been nice to have as much experience as you :(.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The first word after the bullet should be an adjective, not a noun. Words like "worked", "implemented", "configured" and "applied" are good examples of where you used these words correctly, however, your choice of words like "purpose" and "programs" are poor choices.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
First off, DIE COMPETITION DIE. Since that is settled:

1) Where the hell is your objective? What do you want out of your job? What kind of job do you want?
2) Your education takes up too many lines. It could fit in 2 lines.
3) Instead of saying "Academic Software Projects," rename it to "Work/ Project Experience." The reason why I suggest you rename it is because it's unclear if you worked for Raytheon or not (I'm leaning towards no).
4) WHY HELL AM I HELPING MY COMPETITION?!
5) Did you work with others in your projects. If so, make some kind of note as in how you helped (you want another active descriptive verb here) your team succeed.
6) Your descriptions are very bland. Check out a part of mine.

* Substantially improved the 200+ daily users? experiences and efficiency
* Methodically maintained Unix, Linux, and Windows computer labs? functionality and usability

Short and active. Also, note that I use numbers (very important). From the mouth of my Career Center's Advisor, "The HR people generally like numbers. When you use words like many, lots, it's unclear to them exactly how much you mean. It could be thousands or just 10. They would have to guess, and they always guess low. You don't want that, so you give them specific numbers. If the numbers are low and you feel that it would actually harm your chances, just skip them and focus on the strong points."

Your entire second project description can be shorten into one sentence. "Design and implemented a memory manager, process manager, and a file I/O subsystem in JAVA and C++ according to standard Operating System specifications" I'm not even sure this much detail is necessary. Do you have better experiences than this? I think OS is pretty much standard for all CS majors, so this won't distinct you from everyone else.

7) Your skills section is poorly done. First, rename it to "Skills/ Coursework." As you can guess, add relevant coursework in there. Next, telling me your skills is useless unless you tell me how good are you with them. Are you proficent, skilled, or just basic with them? Take a look at adlep's resume; he used active verbs to describe his skills. Next, DOS is outdated, replace it with Office skills. Remove the Redhat part, unnecessary.

8) This brings me to another major point. A lot of your resume looks like it's there or is formatted like that just to take space, as if you don't have enough stuff to put down. Add more. Remember, it doesn't have to be about programming or CS. Volunteer work and clubs also look good, if they are worthwhile and demonstrate your strengths.

9) Work Experience. Once again, the sentences are boring. "Input customer application data into the database for loan processing" is bad, for the lack of any better word. Get some of your creative writing friends and reword everything in your descriptions. i.e.

* Reformatted customer applications into companies database for instant retrieval and updating
* Recieved recognition 4 continous months for best worker
* Followed standard methodology to increase productivity 300% companywide

I don't know what you did, so I just BSed. I just pulled stuff from the top of my head, so if you actually take time you can write something better.

Summary: After my quick skim, I think your entire resume need retooling. As of right now, it's drab and ambiguous. If you need clarification, just ask. Hope it goes well.

QTPie

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
I don't mean to offend anyone, i'm just writing this from my experience and from the advice of job agency ppl, as well as HR ppl.

1. Your resume should be customized for each position that you apply.
2. Your objective need to be clear and short. Don't confuse them, just tell them exactly what position you want to apply for. HR ppl don't have time to see how challenging and want a long term relationship you are. In fact they have about 1 min reading your resume before passing on a hiring manager (I learned this from a free resume critique at Brassring job fair. Too bad that Brassing is gone now)
3. Using color, bullets, underline and other fancy stuff sometimes don't work good.
Some big company just use OCR sw to scan your resume (if you send hardcopy, as in a job fair) and those fancy stuff will make your resume unreadable. (it happened to me b4 when I applied for DirectTV DSL, my nicely Word formated looked like s**t in text format on the desk of the director.)
Also, not all companies can open your .doc file, some don't want to open attachment, so you have to send in as a text file.
4. We tend to put whole bunch of things on our resume to impress but it can backfire easily. Be careful and prepare on what you put on your resume. For example you say that you know VHDL, don't be surprised that they might ask you to write a program (an ALU module, for example). You won't lood good if after you can't answer several questions that being asked.
5. It's very helpful if you attend a resume workshop at school, or have your reviewed by an HR or an agent at "job shop".

Just my 2cents, good luck with your job search!