Crime. Serious thread is serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Rid the world of criminals and the world shall define new crimes.

- Safeway

I was reading a book that said, in effect, that if a society wished to dissolve civilization, to restart as a group, that the last murderer left in prison should be shot and killed. That got me thinking about criminal philosophy.

If we rid the world of criminals, if we truly achieved a Utopian society, it would only last a few milliseconds. Seems like new laws would further restrict society into oblivion. Getting angry and yelling at someone could be the new murder. Failing to share your food could be punishable by law.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Safeway

- Safeway

I was reading a book that said, in effect, that if a society wished to dissolve civilization, to restart as a group, that the last murderer left in prison should be shot and killed. That got me thinking about criminal philosophy.

If we rid the world of criminals, if we truly achieved a Utopian society, it would only last a few milliseconds. Seems like new laws would further restrict society into oblivion. Getting angry and yelling at someone could be the new murder. Failing to share your food could be punishable by law.

Possible. Depends what the moral code is based on.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Safeway

- Safeway

I'm pretty sure that was one of Kant's ideas. He often wrote about the need for punishment for criminal acts. Most notably, he supported the idea that the punishment should be based on the crime (and the severity thereof) and nothing else. Therefore, even if society were to be dissolved, the last murder in prison should be killed.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
would'nt the one who murder the last murder become the last murderer himself upon the death of the murderer?

so basically, to reach utopia everyone must die.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: ivan2
would'nt the one who murder the last murder become the last murderer himself upon the death of the murderer?

A representative of the state killing a murderer would not be murder.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: ivan2

Now you're gettin it! :laugh:

S

SlitheryDee

I'd say that's pretty accurate. For a great many people, perhaps all of them, a large part of the fun in life is getting all righteously indignant over this or that offense while pretending that they would be happier if that activity were eliminated. We're not going to give up that indignation just because there isn't anything left that merits it. Being absolutely sure that you are right and someone else is wrong is one of life's great joys, whether it's actually true or not. Lacking anything major to give us perspective, we'll just become a society of nitpickers who place life and death importance on issues like which direction toilet paper should roll.

While not exactly applicable, this thread reminds me of a quote I'd like to share:

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."
Ayn Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.