Creepy call I got last night at like 5am

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

No idea wtf that was about. I just hope I did not somehow agree to something by answering it lol. Was on one of our lines at the office.

Creepy as hell though, it's just so bizzare.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I get several spam calls every day. If I don't know who it is, don't expect a call, I don't pick up. 90% of the time they don't leave a message. When they do, it's a bot message and I don't listen to more than a couple words.

I've been getting a lot more bot calls the last few months. I suppose the pandemic may be partly why.

In my bedroom I usually have the ringer off. I can hear it vaguely in the other room ringing if I'm awake and no music etc. is on. I really don't care. Anyone who doesn't leave a message I don't want to talk to.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I get several spam calls every day. If I don't know who it is, don't expect a call, I don't pick up. 90% of the time they don't leave a message. When they do, it's a bot message and I don't listen to more than a couple words.

I've been getting a lot more bot calls the last few months. I suppose the pandemic may be partly why.

In my bedroom I usually have the ringer off. I can hear it vaguely in the other room ringing if I'm awake and no music etc. is on. I really don't care. Anyone who doesn't leave a message I don't want to talk to.
In your smartphones, block every single one of them. You'll win.

Reactions: feralkid

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
In your smartphones, block every single one of them. You'll win.
I don't even answer my smartphone except when I'm away from town. In town, I'm all about my land line. Smartphones are for the apps, not the calls. I have no idea where/how the spammers got my landline, maybe a random number generator.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I don't even answer my smartphone except when I'm away from town. In town, I'm all about my land line. Smartphones are for the apps, not the calls. I have no idea where/how the spammers got my landline, maybe a random number generator.
What's landline and why do you have it?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What's landline and why do you have it?
Serious? It's what they had before cell phones, before wireless was invented. I get mine through my gigabit fiber internet, free calling in the USA. It's partly because my ISP's business model makes it cheap if not free for them to offer.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Serious? It's what they had before cell phones, before wireless was invented. I get mine through my gigabit fiber internet, free calling in the USA. It's partly because my ISP's business model makes it cheap if not free for them to offer.
I grew up with rotary phones....

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
they just said it was free , also muse is worried about phone radiation, suprised even uses a "smartphone" heh most humans call them cell phones but what eva.

No idea wtf that was about. I just hope I did not somehow agree to something by answering it lol. Was on one of our lines at the office.

Creepy as hell though, it's just so bizzare.
whats more creepy is the weird pen clicks and making a video of a phone call. Also sounds like you are pressing buttons to get a response. glad you choose to spend your time on the phone when everyone else would have just hung up.

• Haha
Reactions: Zeze

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I had a landline at home for a while myself, was part of a bundle. But I did not really use it as much as I figured I would then I ended up cancelling the bundle and go with just internet. No TV either.

When I did frame orders at work I'd say like 80% of the orders were disconnects with the odd connect. It's kinda sad to see landlines go away but reality is most people just don't need them anymore.

What I find interesting is how spam calls are rare on a cell compared to a landline. I wonder if the cellular switching equipment is just better at blocking those calls when you sign up on the DNCL.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
What I find interesting is how spam calls are rare on a cell compared to a landline. I wonder if the cellular switching equipment is just better at blocking those calls when you sign up on the DNCL.
I get more on my landline but about half the calls & texts i get on my cellphone are spam. I expect that to die down after the election though.

Landline for DSL service.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
You're not using a landline in the sense that it is a copper telco line. You're actually using VOIP, which was invented after cell phones were. :D

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's technically a land line, but it's a very short loop. :p When I first moved into my house I had a traditional land line then when fibre came to town it got switched to that service so it hooked up to the ONT. The dial tone comes from inside the house. :eek:

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
It's technically a land line, but it's a very short loop. :p When I first moved into my house I had a traditional land line then when fibre came to town it got switched to that service so it hooked up to the ONT. The dial tone comes from inside the house. :eek:

We haven't had a landline in our house since around 2000-2002! We've got fiber but have never looked in to VOIP/Phone service. Haven't had any trouble with our Cell phones in all these years. Need to find some wood to knock on!

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
My internet data still comes into my house through metal wires, and my computer still runs on electricity provided by a generator spun by steam which was created by burning fuel, 63% of which is fossil based, then fed through an antiquated electrical grid mostly composed of 50 year old metal wires strung on wooden poles treated with creosote.

But I got rid of that antiquated landline telephone years ago..

• Haha
Reactions: LikeLinus

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You're not using a landline in the sense that it is a copper telco line. You're actually using VOIP, which was invented after cell phones were. :D
My ISP provided me copper line DSL until the fiber was implemented about a year ago. Same deal with the free nationwide calling. The technology is transparent to me, the service seems exactly the same. Free nationwide landline calling, but way way way faster internet.