Credit Card Dispute Process

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
I lost my Credit Card a couple weeks ago. I made the mistake of not calling right away to report it lost, and continued with my every day routine, but began using my debit card instead.

I checked my statement online last night, and noticed that there were two fraudulent charges. Both were charged to a taxi service in Seattle (where I live). The total came to about $65.

I called into BoA's dispute line and explained my story. The guy was really understanding, but told me that there was nothing he could do because the card was physically swiped.

I thought that the entire point of the dispute process was to dispute charges that occur after a card is lost or stolen.... was I wrong about this?

Also - Yes, I realize I should have reported it right away. $65 lesson learned ;)

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Sounds like crappy customer service. For example, if your card was stolen or lost and you hadn't realized it yet, I would expect them to cover it, and I don't understand why they wouldn't here.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Don't do it over the phone. Write a letter with a statement copy from online highlighting the charges that are not yours. Just say you did not make those charges.

Send that in and wait for what they say. Over the phone they can say anything. But once it is a written letter it is treated different.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: jjsole
Sounds like crappy customer service. For example, if your card was stolen or lost and you hadn't realized it yet, I would expect them to cover it, and I don't understand why they wouldn't here.

My exact train of thought.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Don't do it over the phone. Write a letter with a statement copy from online highlighting the charges that are not yours. Just say you did not make those charges.

Send that in and wait for what they say. Over the phone they can say anything. But once it is a written letter it is treated different.

I didn't even know it could be done that way - Thanks.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I also had a fraudulent charge a few months ago and Chase said it was swiped, but I was 500 miles away racking up charges with the same card. They removed the charges.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
I also had a fraudulent charge a few months ago and Chase said it was swiped, but I was 500 miles away racking up charges with the same card. They removed the charges.

Yeah, that one seems like a no-brainer. But still.. I've always heard that it's pretty much no questions asked when dealing with disputes.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Tizyler

But you clearly state you knew you lost it and just didn't care enough to call in. If it wasn't important enough for you to call in right away so they could cancel the card why should they now remove the charges? You have some responsibility for how the card is used and not telling the issuing company it is lost is your job.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

yes, disputes done in writing can't be ignored, i think you'll be alright once you write the letter

however, if your CC only protects you for over $50, you might end up with only getting back $15 , not the entire $65

good luck

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: compman25
Originally posted by: Tizyler

But you clearly state you knew you lost it and just didn't care enough to call in. If it wasn't important enough for you to call in right away so they could cancel the card why should they now remove the charges? You have some responsibility for how the card is used and not telling the issuing company it is lost is your job.

I already mentioned this in my original OP. I understand. I'm still surprised that they couldn't handle it better.

Edit: I just re-read your post. Why should they remove the charges? They are fucking fraudulent. I'm not perfect, I made a mistake, and I forgot to call in. If I have my entire account drained due to some ID thief, but I don't notice for 2 weeks, will "you didn't call in soon enough" be a legitimate excuse?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Federal law controls this issue (quick summary). The credit card WILL obey the federal laws. The law clearly states that you can only be responsible for up to $50 of unauthorized charges IF you follow your responsiblities. You MUST:

1) Send the dispute in the mail. If you do it by phone, you might get the runaround. By law you must do it by mail.

2) Send the letter no later than 60 days after the problematic bill was mailed to you.

It sounds like you are probably still within the 60-day window, so as long as you mail in your dispute to the correct address, you should get $15-$65 back (depending on how nice your credit card company is).