Creative share price hits lowest point since 1996.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Just a random observation. The X-Fi sucked, the Zen flopped like a fish.

They have also been de-listed from NASDAQ just this month.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
It probably had nothing to do with it, but I like to think they're suffering horribly from their absolute refusal to get working Vista drivers for their stuff.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
It probably had nothing to do with it, but I like to think they're suffering horribly from their absolute refusal to get working Vista drivers for their stuff.

I'd like to think Microsoft will suffer horribly for making Vista a steaming pile of shit.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Except for the shitty battery life, I love my Creative Zen Vision M. I think it just runs down quick because I have to put it at full volume for it to sound good on my car's aux input. And because I constantly hit "next" while in random to find a good song.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
the problem mainly is on board audio
why do I want to spend $100-300 on a sound card when I can get onboard audio which sounds decent, and spending that $100-300 on a nice set of speakers more than likely would show more benefit that a sound card.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
The X-Fi sucked? It was the only leap since the original Audigy :confused:

Leap in terms of what? Sure it had some vague HRTF processing, and a 'crystalizer' that did the complete opposite of what it was intended to do while managing to be effectively deceptive.

No new sound propagation models (once again), in fact no propagation model whatsoever. No attempts at procedural sound, no VST support in the mixer, completely redundant and slow as shit memory chips that had no purpose other than looking 'hip'. The whole thing was a gimmick from top to bottom. At least the Audigy 2 wasn't a poser.

Originally posted by: JohnCU
How much better can they make a sound card, though?

That's part of the problem, sound DSPs are obsolete. Everything the X-Fi did could have been done in software at no cost. From a business standpoint, that was not an option, so the X-Fi had to be necessarily shipped with a truckload of marketing bullshit. The honest and productive alternative would have been to release a sound card with a high quality DAC and preamp at a ground breaking low cost, and use the other funding to instead develop a development API for, perhaps beam traced environmental processing and maybe even personalized HRTF algorithm generator that could have come with surface modeling hardware, on which they would have made a generous profit. It would be a highly non-standard venture, but that's what a leader does, innovate where it's needed. Creative just sat on their EAX turd all this time until it dried. I knew such a crash was inevitable since all the broken promises of the X-FI have been realized. It was supposed to be an innovator, it was a turd. That's just speaking for the X-Fi, the Zen is another disaster worth a paragraph.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: zoiks
Awesome. I hate that company.

Give them some credit for starting the whole sound thing. I bought a Soundblaster 16 way back when along with a Creative CD-ROM, and it was awesome.

It always amazes me that these companies can be so innovating and then just implode as they forget to keep innovating. Look at 3dfx.

SETIdude

Nov 16, 2000
good company back in the mid 90's

most mobos these days come with excellent onboard audio... the one i'm using right now has an optical digital output to a receiver.

they made more than soundcards, but didn't really expand too much. i did own a creative 3d blaster tnt2ultra back in the day, though.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: AndrewR

Give them some credit for starting the whole sound thing. I bought a Soundblaster 16 way back when along with a Creative CD-ROM, and it was awesome.

It always amazes me that these companies can be so innovating and then just implode as they forget to keep innovating. Look at 3dfx.

My distaste for that company started with the lawsuit against Aureal semiconductor that drove them out of business. Creative sued Aureal for patent infringement, a case which in the end Aureal won but pretty much killed them financially. In the end Creative bought all of Aureals assets at chump change after they went down.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I like their mp3 products. The X-Fi was okay, but nothing spectacular. I also do not run Vista. Their CS sucks.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Agentbolt

I'd like to think Microsoft will suffer horribly for making Vista a steaming pile of shit.

Getting rid of creative is always a plus

:thumbsup: vista

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: AndrewR

My distaste for that company started with the lawsuit against Aureal semiconductor that drove them out of business. Creative sued Aureal for patent infringement, a case which in the end Aureal won but pretty much killed them financially. In the end Creative bought all of Aureals assets at chump change after they went down.
Sounds kind of like what my company would do. Hah.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
With their horrible driver support and spyware I have to say I am happy to see them tank.

kindest

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2001
52wk Range: 3.58 - 7.43

it wasnt long ago they moved from the NYSE to overseas .pk

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
I'm still mad over what they did with aureal. Good for them.