Creative Nomad Zen USB 2.0 version

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Just checked the Creative Nomand firmware update page.. they've got a firmware update for the Zen but it says it's not compatible with the USB 2.0 version of the player. I actually haven't even ordered the Zen yet but if I get the USB 2.0 version, I wanna know if I'm makin a mistake by getting this version somehow..

not that it really matters if I get the USB 2.0 version or the 1.1.. since I've got fireware too but I figured it'd be better to use the USB port for transferring the songs AND recharging..

any input is appreciated.

bluntman

Aug 18, 2000
I bought the original Firewire/USB 1.1 model and am quite happy with it. The newer USB 2.0 model has a couple of advantages over the original, for one thing, the USB 2.0 model has a slightly longer battery life (per charge), I remember reading 14 hours versus 12 hours on the original. The other advantage is the price, the original goes for $299US while the newer version has a list price of $250US. The recharging via USB isn't really a point of consideration for myself. The Zen takes about a couple of hours to fully charge and much less than that to transfer songs onto it. And since the Zen can't recharge via USB while the computer is off I would have ended up recharging it by AC adapter anyway. The USB 2.0 model is just as good if not slightly better than the Firewire/USB 1.1 model, don't even think twice about your purchase. Enjoy it!

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Awesome.. thanks for the reply. Now I just hope UPS doesn't rape me with those damn cross border fees

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just ordered the 2.0 version off ebay for $269 ($299 retail). The only thing is the remote is out of stock everywere and costs $60+ now, it used to cost $40..should have grabbed one. They are going for $90+ on ebay due to short supply.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
How is the inerface on these things? As good as the iPod?

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Mani
How is the inerface on these things? As good as the iPod?
I looked at one at CompUSA yesterday. The battery was of course dead (why would I ever want to try something out they have on display?) The thing is bigger than I expected (I had an iPod but sold it recently, it's definitely larger than one). Also, it seems like it would be clunky, since there are no buttons on the front, but rather on the sides, and even then they are recessed and not easy to press. If it had a wheel on the front like the iPod and play/stop buttons it would probably be better.

bluntman

Aug 18, 2000
LuDaCriS66, how much did you pay for you Zen 2.0? I noticed on the Compusmart website yesterday that they have the Zen 2.0 listed at $499 CDN with their first shipments due this week. Also, if you are interested in the remote, they have gone up in price from $70 CDN to $110 CDN (again at Compusmart, which is where I bought mine before the price increase and before buying my Zen).

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: bluntman
LuDaCriS66, how much did you pay for you Zen 2.0? I noticed on the Compusmart website yesterday that they have the Zen 2.0 listed at $499 CDN with their first shipments due this week. Also, if you are interested in the remote, they have gone up in price from $70 CDN to $110 CDN (again at Compusmart, which is where I bought mine before the price increase and before buying my Zen).

Thanks for the info.. I'm getting the Zen for approximately $448 Canadian with shipping... the problem is the cross border fees... which could add up to more than $100 I think... geez..

GnomeCop

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2002
Originally posted by: LuDaCriS66

Thanks for the info.. I'm getting the Zen for approximately $448 Canadian with shipping... the problem is the cross border fees... which could add up to more than $100 I think... geez..

geez $100??? thats LuDaCriS!

Pauli

Oct 14, 1999
I've got a Firewire/USB1.1 Zen. In addition to the 6 control buttons, it has a control wheel with push button feature which is used for most of the navigation. I'm pretty happy with it -- it sounds great and I can fit my whole CD collection on it. I haven't used an iPod, but the Zen is larger and heavier. It's still small enough to attach it to my belt clip (after case mod) and go rollerblading with, plus it's a couple of hundred USD cheaper. Check out www.nomadness.net Zen forum for some good info.

bluntman

Aug 18, 2000
Yes, Nomadness.net is a great website for any Nomad. Also, make sure you pick up a copy of Red Chair Software's Notmad Explorer. You can get a trial version for free, but it only lets you transfer one song at a time, but the pay version ($25 US for the player specific version or $35 US universal version) lets you transfer as many as you'd like. The software is great and isn't as "bloated" as the software that Creative Labs ships with their players (Creative Playcenter).