Creative Card and Onboard Audio

ryema22

Dec 29, 2003
I just picked up a Gigabyte DA-P35-DS3R with the ALC889A audio codec. I also have a slightly older Audigy MP3+ card. The ALC889A specs seem outperform the Creative card as far as sampling rate and SNR go and it also allows for full rate Blu-Ray/HDDVD playback, so that seems to be the better choice for my audio. However, the Gigabyte board lacks 1394 support and the Creative card has a Firewire port built in, which I have been using to transfer DV. Is it possible to install the Audigy card for it's firewire port but use the onboard audio without creating bugs/conflicts?

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
You know, that's a very interesting and challenging question... I'd like to know the answer as well :p

However, considering that the chances of someone else having the same equipment (mobo and sound card) are rather slim, you're probably going to gain some time and experience by doing the trials yourself... BTW, you're welcome to post the results, for the benefit of other AT inquisitive minds...

Also, why are you saying the mobo has better audio? The Audigy is rated at 100 dB for SNR and crosstalk, and the distortion is at 0.004%, while the motherboard peaks around 81 dB SNR and Crosstalk, and has a slightly higher distortion value.

IN THEORY, you should be able to use various audio solutions in the same system. I have a couple of USB sound cards which don't seem to pose any problems to my machines, as long as I remember to choose the adequate hardware in the Sound Mixer (or the application's dedicated control panel.)

ryema22

Dec 29, 2003
The Realtek chip actually has 106dB SNR, 24-bit, 48/96/192kHz, plus support for protected media (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD) so I think in terms of audio quality it beats out most of the older Audigy cards.

Ignoring the specific mobo/soundcard combination, is it possible (in general) to have multiple audio devices installed at the same time without causing problems?

AmdInside

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
In theory, it should. Just make sure to select the appropriate device in your sound properties in the Windows Control Panel. However, if you do not intend to use the Audigy at all for audio, just don't install any drivers (the firewire port should not require any drivers) and then disable the device in the Device Manager.