Creationism

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
Originally posted by: XMan
I wonder if any of those who speak out so vehemently against the Christian faith would have the same things to say about living under Sharia law. I realize that it's different because of the experiences most of the Americans on this board have had, but it's definitely an interesting absence.

:confused: Do you really think that those speaking out against teaching creationism in a classroom are going to be jumping for joy about a whole (fucked up) religious legal system??

How can you even type that with a straight face? You didn't look it over, maybe checking for spelling errors or something, and realize, "This just sounds fucking stupid.. Maybe I'd better not hit that 'Reply to topic' button.."??

It's like one of those linux fan-boys chomping at the bit to install windows vista..

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk
I wonder if any of those who speak out so vehemently against the Christian faith would have the same things to say about living under Sharia law. I realize that it's different because of the experiences most of the Americans on this board have had, but it's definitely an interesting absence.

:confused: Do you really think that those speaking out against teaching creationism in a classroom are going to be jumping for joy about a whole (fucked up) religious legal system??

How can you even type that with a straight face? You didn't look it over, maybe checking for spelling errors or something, and realize, "This just sounds fucking stupid.. Maybe I'd better not hit that 'Reply to topic' button.."??

It's like one of those linux fan-boys chomping at the bit to install windows vista..

I never said you'd be jumping for joy about it.

I'm merely referring to the types of people who decry sexual harassment in American business . . . but conveniently forget to mention the treatment of women in places like Saudi Arabia.

Or who proclaim Christian offense and boycott of a movie offensive to our beliefs as trying to institute a religious theocracy . . . yet say little or nothing when Theo Van Gogh is murdered in the street for daring to insult Islam.

Or call Christians misogynist for believing abortion is wrong . . . but have no problem with the misogynists in eastern Africa who practice female genital mutilation in the name of "purity."

If you're not that type of person, why so defensive?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
Originally posted by: eskimospy

It's not really a straw man when about 45% of Americans think that people were created by god in their present form less than 10,000 years ago. This isn't some fringe belief that people are using to paint all Christians as nuts, this is something that a high proportion of people believe.

Wait - 45% of Americans believe this? Care to back that statement up?

June 20, 2008 Poll
http://www.gallup.com/poll/108...iffer-Creationism.aspx

Believe god created man as in w/i last 10,000 years or so:
38% of dems
40% of independents
60% of reps

Pathetic, no?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Sharia law? Kind of mild.
Let's see, you would be tortured, burned live at the stake, have all your goods confiscated for the church coffers, your family sold as slaves if they did not denounce you as a heritic, all by a Christian controlled state. Read a history book or a even mild novel like the "Scarlet Letter". For the Founding Fathers, Church and state separation had a very good reason.