creating workgroup?

mikehende

Sep 15, 2014
Hey guys, I am working on this laptop and wish to create a workgroup. following these instructions on the net:

https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+create+workgroup

When I get to the step where I have to type the name of the workgroup and click OK, a prompt opens up which reads:

After you leave the domain, you will need to know the password of the local administrator account to log into your computer. Click ok to continue.

My question, on power on after the windows logo screen, is this the windows logon password it's referring to please?

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Not necessarily. If you're removing a machine from a domain, you would need to know the local administrator password for the local administrator account. While that could be the same user you're logging in with you may be logging in with a domain account which would not be able to authenticate once you've removed the system from the domain.

If you have the permission to do so, you could create a local administrator and set the password or reset the existing local admin password before removing the machine from the domain.

mikehende

Sep 15, 2014
I am not network strong, under System properties I am seeing the Computer Name, Full computer name and Member of domain info. Can you clarify if any of those or the windows logon password is the "local administrator password" or tell me how I can know for sure what that password is please?

akaikaia

Jun 2, 2016
run compmgmt.msc and go to Local users and groups, look at the users and if possible reset existing administrator account or create a new one. Check the properties of the users and then the Member Of tab to see if that user is an administrator

mikehende

Sep 15, 2014
The workgroup worked the first time but on the previous account some PDF files were hidden or missing from the desktop so I did a system restore and backed up all of the files from on the desktop.
I went through the workgroup procedure again which did not work this time, can you tell me if I am missing a step from here please?
In Computer Management and under USERS I right click on Administrator then Set Password then Proceed, enter new password [test] twice then OK.
R click Administrator again then Properties then check User Cannot change password and Password never expires then Apply then OK.
Next I restart the pc but no change. When I had done it over the phone with you, after hitting Apply and OK it had asked to restart, it didn't this time, what am I missing here please?

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/mikehende/admin2_zpsjp9g9zim.jpg

akaikaia

Jun 2, 2016
If the computer is still in the domain, login using .\administrator and the newly created password

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
The local computer user 'Administrator' is often not enabled by default. You can enable it off the command line 'net user Administrator /ACTIVE'. If you want to see it's status, run it without /ACTIVE.

However, at this point, I would just create another user that is an Administrator or add your current user to the 'Administrators' group.