Creating bootCD with Nero WITHOUT having a floppy drive?

onelin

Dec 11, 2001
Can someone tell me if this can be done? I found an NTFS boot floppy creator, made a floppy (on the one computer in my house that has a floppy drive still), mapped it over the network, fired up Nero, and tried making a bootable CD. I can take an image of the floppy and transfer it over fine I'm sure...but Nero wants a real floppy drive from the look of it.

Am I SOL?

This is driving me nuts, as I have a winxp box to reinstall and I want to install it onto NTFS but windows has notoriously NOT enjoyed doing this for me and I really don't want to turn it into fat32 and then convert it again.

If Nero can't do it, can anyone point me towards a free utility that can?

*edit* I'm an idiot, the WinXP pro bootable CD does what I need. I'd still like to know how to do this, though...as I plan on making a new boot CD with all of my drivers and such...

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Since you have the Windows XP Pro bootable CD, you may extract the boot sector from the CD. There are tools out there that let you do that. Here's a free tool you can use to extract the boot sector from your XP CD, link.

Once you got the boot sector, you can use it to make a customized Windows XP bootable CD using Nero.

crapito

Golden Member
Oct 20, 1999
if you have an "image" of a bootable floppy, then Nero won't need a real floppy. WinImage can make floppy images. if you want, I can email you my custom Win98SE floppy image that I use when making bootable Ghost cds.