Question Creating a VM with Hyper V shouldn't be this hard

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
I am trying to create a VM. I dont know why I am supposed to specify an ISO if it does nothing with it. I just need a few simple VMs on my server for an FTP server, a Torrent VM, and one I will use to VPN into my work. I download the windows 10 ISO and specify it during the VM creation. But the VM always fails to boot, says there is no OS. This is beyond frustrating

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
But the VM always fails to boot, says there is no OS. This is beyond frustrating
VM works just like a normal system if you don't tell it to start from dvd it won't start from dvd,if your system is uefi it will need an uefi dvd and so on.

Which VM are you using?VMware asks for a starting iso but it also starts from it no problem.

You could also not use the wizard and just set up the VM as if it where a normal system and then just boot from dvd to install windows.

Right now you probably have it set up to boot from something else other than the dvd.

You could also use a sandbox software for the FTP and torrent program,a sandbox refuses access to anything other than what you specify.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Sigh, it's a vm, meaning you treat it just like a computer. A computer with an empty hard drive. You mount the iso image of the os you want to install as a dvd drive then start vm. And it will boot from said ISO.

There are countless hyper-v installation howtos on the web. Google and learn.

I have like 30 hyper-v VMs on my server.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You may also need to go in the VM's bios to set boot order. I don't know about HyperV since I never used it but I know in Virtualbox and Vmware there is an option to force to boot in bios. (easier than trying to smash delete fast enough while the window is trying to resize and do it's thing)

But yeah the ISO it wants is the boot ISO so you can install the OS. The VM is exactly that, a virtual computer, with it's own set of virtual peripherals such as a cdrom drive and hard drive.