Crazy load cycle counts on WD Reds?

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I started getting SMART alerts today because one of my 2.5 year old 4TB WD Red drives exceeded 600,000 load cycles. I checked and all 4 in the pool are nearing this threshold. Back of the envelope calculations tell me this means there is a load cycle every 2-3 minutes? This seems crazy to me. I thought only the green drives had the silly parking after only 8 seconds idle by default. Do I need to change default settings for this on reds as well?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
My 3TB Red, with 3436hrs on it only has 854 cycles, or once every 4 hours or so. The difference with mine is it is a backup drive in my HTPC... so it's not accessed very often. Sounds something is hitting your drives constantly...

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I started getting SMART alerts today because one of my 2.5 year old 4TB WD Red drives exceeded 600,000 load cycles. I checked and all 4 in the pool are nearing this threshold. Back of the envelope calculations tell me this means there is a load cycle every 2-3 minutes? This seems crazy to me. I thought only the green drives had the silly parking after only 8 seconds idle by default. Do I need to change default settings for this on reds as well?
I've read several times that WD Red's are highly inconsistent. Some batches seem to have the parking disabled or at least set to 300s / 5mins. Other's park just like Green's every 7-8s. You might as well double check all of them just to be sure. Some 3.5" 7,200rpm Blue's come with the same aggressive park settings, which makes absolutely no sense as far as "saving 0.1w power" is concerned...

Last edited: