Crazy Japs + Computers = Shinto Ceremony?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
From my brief understanding of the Shinto religion. It is an indigenous nature religion in which priests have to bless those things that are not nature-made(manmade) so that their intrusion does not mess up the harmony...Sort of like Feng Shui

Thus having priests saying prayers over the laptops is nothing out of the ordinary. I have seen many a picture of Shinto priests blessing new car purchases

You got it pretty close for an American;)

The largest shrine for transportation safety is right near my house and people like to get their car blessed(?), not quite the right word but I'm too lazy to try to think of one, for the new year so the last week has been crazy. Thousands and thousands of cars coming and going. Maybe I'll go take a few pics, I saw some very nice cars yesterday.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Originally posted by: pulse8
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: Aceshigh
I find nothing offensive about the word Japs. I think people that do need to get a life rather than complain about silly things.

Are you Japanese?

Ask a confederate soldier if they were offended by the word n*gger and they'd say no too. But they weren't African American so their opinion is moot, as is yours.

Maybe it's just me, but japs and n!gger have little to do with each other.

Why is it that Japanese people get offended over the word "Japs" but Jewish people have no problems being called "Jews?"

Maybe it's just me, but 'Jap' and 'Jew' have little to do with each other as well. Jap is a term that is usually used in a derogatory sense, whereas Jew is not.

So if someone called me a crazy Jew, whould it then be the same thing? :confused:

akodi

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2003
I'm japanese and if you lived close to me I'de drive over and kick you 'in da nutz'

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by: SethK28
I find nothing offensive about the word Japs. I think people that do need to get a life rather than complain about silly things.

Are you Japanese?

Ask a confederate soldier if they were offended by the word n*gger and they'd say no too. But they weren't African American so their opinion is moot, as is yours.

Why is it that Japanese people get offended over the word "Japs" but Jewish people have no problems being called "Jews?"

Maybe it's just me, but 'Jap' and 'Jew' have little to do with each other as well. Jap is a term that is usually used in a derogatory sense, whereas Jew is not.

What makes a curse word a curse word, or a derogatory word a derogatory word...it is all about perception...hell blacks use the word n!gger all the time, its ok for them to call each other that, but as soon as a white person utters that word all hell breaks loose.

"Jap" is a derogatory word, during WWII, Jap was being used for racist comments and slogans.

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: BaboonGuy
Originally posted by: SethK28

Are you Japanese?

What makes a curse word a curse word, or a derogatory word a derogatory word...it is all about perception...hell blacks use the word n!gger all the time, its ok for them to call each other that, but as soon as a white person utters that word all hell breaks loose.

"Jap" is a derogatory word, during WWII, Jap was being used for racist comments and slogans.

Yeah, "jap" is offensive i believe. Same as calling all asians "orientals". Jews has a nasty connotation(cheap) and served as an offensive word during WWII from the axis side(germans) of the war. So does "n!gga" or "n!gger" obviously.

The only time it's really not offensive is when a person of the same race/religion calls it to each other (light heartedly) it seems.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
hrm .. more people should take Ethnic and Minority Classes at college if you really really want to know why certains terms are offensive. It's always a flamefest when it breaks out on ATOT. always a few sides ..

1. a person of that ethnicity claims that the term is ok
2. a person of that ethnicity claiming that the term is bad
3. an american born person of that ethnicity claiming that the term is ok
4. an american born person of that ethnicity claiming that the term is bad
5. middle america poster asking why it's ok
6 middle america poster asking why it's not ok

out of 6 opinions .. geez no wonder it gets crazy.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000

Let's just say that someone at my company sent out an email with that abbreviation in his email got a sit-down with our HR. Apparently, it is just as bad as saying the "n" word. Now he has a record with the HR, not a good thing.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
the only reason these ords have a negative connotation is because you tolerance monkeys climb all over anybody that says them. there words, words evolve into diffrent meanings over time. i didn't see any negative meaning in the word jap untoil the tolerance monkeys came out. i'm white, crackers are white, so whites are crackers. BFD i'm not offended. the british say i'm a yankee, hell yeah i'm a yankee. if yankees can have cracker priide why can't the japenease have jap pride. better go get rid of all my jerry cans. don't want the germans after me.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Well Japs during WWII was not a nice comment....it's evolved to less 'bashing'.

Å

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Well Japs during WWII was not a nice comment....it's evolved to less 'bashing'.

Å

Riiight. So back in the 80s, Japs was a friendly, fuzzy term eh? Even when they said it while destroying Japanese made cars and electronics?