Question Crazy fan speed - every 15 seconds

Agent707

Jul 12, 2013
I have a 2080 super. When I play games that task my card, the fan kicks in wide-open for about 2 seconds (sounds like a hair dryer), then goes back to idle speed.
This cycle repeats about every 15-20 seconds (13 seconds of quite, then 2 seconds of a hair dryer running)
This is SOOOO annoying.

I have searched everything in nVidia control panel, and there appears to be nothing there that equates to fan speed.
I'd love to be able to tell this stupid thing to run at a speed that will keep the card cool enough without flipping between idle and WFO. Be nice to manually set the fan speed?

Anyhow, appreciate any feedback. I've had this card for a few years now... and finally had enough to prompt me to post on these forums.

Not sure the audience on these forums compared to years past. I used to post on these forums regularly way back in the days (15+ years ago).

Thanks for any help!

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Is this a new problem or has your card always behaved this way? Use a program like HWInfo64 to monitor GPU temps. What do they look like? Do you see spikes during these bursts? My thoughts is that you may need to repaste the card or perhaps a fan speed isn't reading properly. You can also use MSI Afterburner to check temps and fan speed. Afterburner will also let you set a custom fan profile.

Agent707

Jul 12, 2013
Is this a new problem or has your card always behaved this way? Use a program like HWInfo64 to monitor GPU temps. What do they look like? Do you see spikes during these bursts? My thoughts is that you may need to repaste the card or perhaps a fan speed isn't reading properly. You can also use MSI Afterburner to check temps and fan speed. Afterburner will also let you set a custom fan profile.
Thanks Photos. MSI Afterburner helped a LOT! My default fan speed/temp curve was way too steep in the 70+ temp range. Fan never really spun up much until temp was high 70's, and I guess temps would shoot up so fast speed would jump to 100% fan speed. This caused temps to rollercoaster up and down rapidly.... I'm guessing.
I moved the curve to speed up the fan in the mid 60's quite a bit. This helped keep my temps pretty steady between 65 and 75 depending on the scene in the game.

Thanks again

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I had the same problem on my 3090 EVGA FTW3 Ultra. Using Precision X1 I made some fan curves to my liking to solve it. This is my preference and makes for a silent GPU until it actually does work:

1678105503408.png