crazy brain teasers ...

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
(1) A Sultan ordered ten goldsmiths to make ten coins each. Each
coin was to weigh exactly ten grams of pure gold.
One of the goldsmiths was a bad man. He decided to cheat. He
made all his ten coins one gram short. Now the Sultan heard that
one of the goldsmiths had cheated. He also heard that this man
had made each of his coins 1 gram short.

So what's the minimum number of weighing needed for the
clever Sultan to find out the culprit?

Note: Not balance scale but a weight scale i.e. tells you number of grams.

=====

(2)
ok, since you dudes so bright, here's a tougher one I just remembered:
If you given 2 NON-UNIFORM candles, all we know is each can be burnt in 1 hour's time.
How can you use them to time 45min?

=====

(3) Thanks to ... illusion88
You are asked to find the height of a very tall building. The only equipment you are given is a very expensive, very percise barometer and a watch. Tell me three ways to find the height of the building using the barometer the watch.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
weighed them together once only? that's too ambiguous. meaning i could come up with many solutions that would fit that loose description.

was this using a balance? a triple beam with a numerical indicator?

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
------------ SPOILER ---------------------

Old.

Took 1 coin from the first
Took 2 coins from the second
Took 3 coins from the third
and so on...

If he was off by x grams from what he expected, the xth goldsmith was the thief.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Took 1 from the first, two from the second etc.

Whatever number you end up in the ones place, subtract 10- that number and you have your cheat.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
10 coins from the first, 9 from the second, 8 from the third etc. When measured the numbers of ouces off (e.g. for example 4) was the person who gave that many.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
damn you dudes pretty slick. Ok, put one up here that's tougher!!! and I'll add yours to top!

More challenges people!!

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
You are asked to find the height of a very tall building. The only equipment you are given is a very expensive, very percise barometer and a watch. Tell me three ways to find the height of the building using the barometer the watch.

EDIT: this is actually a Cisco interview question, two answers should be obvious, the third is a bit harder to find.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I already got 2x ways illusion88. but will wait a bit to post them... in mean while third way ...

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: illusion88

EDIT: this is actually a Cisco interview question, two answers should be obvious, the third is a bit harder to find.

The 4 famous ways: Direct determnation based on preasure measurements at top bottom. Drop the barometer, time it with watch. Sun dial approach (height of barometer vs height of buildng).

And my favorite. Knock on the supers door and say 'if you tell me the height of the building I will give you this barometer' ;)

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
but bsobel how do you know the height of the barometer? you ain't got no ruler? ...

I do accept the other 3 tho. nicely done. Must say you guys really quick minded.

ANy1 got the cadle problem I posted?

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
yankeesfan, been a surgeon you probably would be use to cutting ... but in this case the candle is NON-uniform.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
(2) Assuming you can lay the candle sideways and burn the other end.

Burn both ends of candle #1 and one end of candle #2.

When candle #1 is burned out, 30 minutes will have passed and 30 minutes remain on candle #2.

Burn the other end of candle #2 and that will burn out in 15 minutes.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

Method 1: drop the barometer from the top of the building. Time its decent. Use d=1/2 a t^2 to calculate the time. If that's not good enough for you, then assume drag is proportional to velocity squared... differential equations... Still no big deal.

Method 2: Find the building superintendent and say "If I give you this barometer and watch, will you tell me how tall the building is?"

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by: TuxDave

When candle #1 is burned out, 30 minutes will have passed and 30 minutes remain on candle #2.

I hope that

NON-UNIFORM candles

doesn't mean they don't burn at constant rates, becuase if so, TuxDaves' solution would not work.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Viperoni
Originally posted by: TuxDave

I hope that

NON-UNIFORM candles

doesn't mean they don't burn at constant rates, becuase if so, TuxDaves' solution would not work.

No, TuxDave's solution works. This is a common teaser so you can probably easily find it via google. But suffice to say, the non-uniformity of the rate of burning does not affect his results because Tux waits for an entire candle to extinguish to mark his time.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I used to know a HS teacher, he is rumored to have an IQ of 180. So we took turns giving him brain teasers, you know what the guys gets it every time ... just a story.