Crawlspace sealing?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Do you have a problem that you think this will fix?
Or is somebody trying to sell you a solution to a non-problem?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Slickone
Yes I have standing water in my crawlspace.

Originally posted by: acemcmac
solution to a non-problem
What are you talking about?

This isn't going to fix that. If it's coming from below, now you'll just have standing water under the plastic. And since it can't evaporate now, it will only get worse. If it's coming from above somehow, now you have a lake on top of the plastic that can only evaporate - it can't drain through the soil as well.

You need to find out where that water is coming from and drain it away/block it from the outside.

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Armitage

This isn't going to fix that. If it's coming from below, now you'll just have standing water under the plastic. And since it can't evaporate now, it will only get worse. If it's coming from above somehow, now you have a lake on top of the plastic that can only evaporate - it can't drain through the soil as well.

You need to find out where that water is coming from and drain it away/block it from the outside.
Sounds like that's what they do. Did you read their website? I believe they guarantee it too. There are a few other companies doing this now too.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Armitage

Sounds like that's what they do. Did you read their website? I believe they guarantee it too. There are a few other companies doing this now too.

In my experience, getting the water away from the house via gutters, drain tile, re-sloping the landscaping, etc. is the only thing that will dry up most basements. Sealing the foundation and wall from the outside helps also. I've never seen the particular product they are advertising - but I've seen other interior crack patches and never seen them hold. Is this one better? Maybe. Take a good look at that warranty.

The product I see is for fixing leaks that come through cracks in the wall. Is that what you have? If it is coming up through the soil, that's not going to help at all. And as I said earlier, putting plastic over it will only make it worse. You need to figure out where the water is coming from before you do anything.