Crashplan Questions

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by ViviTheMage, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

So I was thinking of stopping my sugarsync and switching to crashplan. I've got a few TB worth of data I back up locally, and I would like to stop that and just automate it via crashplan to my data center where I have a few TB of disk I can use for this.

Does it work that slick? Also, for OSX/IOS versions, can you only sync certain directories, like I can with sugarsync?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Crashplan Questions Forum Date
    LatencyMon question Software for Windows Sep 5, 2017
    Question about Acronis True Image Software for Windows Aug 5, 2017
    Any SolidWorks users here? Licensing question Software for Windows May 24, 2017
    Crashplan vs. Bitcasa Software for Windows Dec 31, 2012
    Carbonite, Mozy, Amazon S3, CrashPlan, SkyDrive - which? Software for Windows Jul 19, 2012

3. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Yes, it's that slick. I haven't used anything besides Windows though.

4. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

hmmmmmmmmm, I might have to try it out.

5. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

I haven't done the peer-backup outside of my own LAN, but I use crashplan on every workstation at my lab, and they all backup pretty much flawlessly to the "server" destination. It's great.

6. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

but what if 2-3 computers/devices connect to the same directory, and update files within that directory? Is it instantly updated once the file is saved/changed across all devices?

7. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/reference_guide/settings#advanced_backup_settings
    http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/reference/real_time_backups
    The paid subscription version has real-time file monitoring, but the free version does not. So free Crashplan isn't going to work for you as a versioning system if that's what you're looking for. (I think it updates every 15 mins or something like that).

Crashplan might be a little tricky with regards to network shares, since those are mounted in userspace and the service runs in system space. They do have a workaround of sorts though.
    http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/recipe/back_up_windows_mapped_drives

8. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

I don't want versions though, I just want the ability to work on one file from multiple locations (but never working on it at the same time).