crashing in games and movies

davekaro

Nov 17, 2000
hi everyone,

i've got a radeon ddr 32mb original, and it has always worked fine, but now, i can't play video games or movies anymore. games like splinter cell will crash in 2 seconds. games like half life will crash in like 5min. movies like a divx vary from 30 seconds or less to like 2-3min. before crashing. what happens is my computer will either just freeze up, or restart all together. i've tried putting active cooling from my card cooler onto the video card, so i find it hard to believe that its overheating. i also tried a new antec truepower 430w power supply that changed nothing. i have the latest catalyst 3 drivers and directx 9 and im' runing winxp pro SP1. any other ideas?? thanks!

-dave

Serp86

Oct 12, 2002
like Creig said, it may be that your cpu is overheating as those are cpu hungry applications. Are you overcloking?

if that is not it, i think that for a radeon 32mb ddr, the best catalysts are the 2.5 ones. However, i am not sure about this. try installing the 2.5cat and rempving directX 9 with directx killer (sorry but i can't give you link - but as someone suggested this to me here, maybe saomeone can help you out on this)

sorry i cannot be much helpful

davekaro

Nov 17, 2000
my cpu is not overclocked...its an xp 1600+... i guess it could be overheating...but i never had this problem before either. and you're saying i should remove direct x 9?? is it bad to have it installed or something?? thanks
-dave

davekaro

Nov 17, 2000
i just loaded up my mandrake linux 9 and played a south park divx. it ran the entire 20 min. w/o crashing or anything. i went back into winxp and it just frooze like 5-10 seconds into the show. so i don't think it's anything hardware. also, it happened before i upgraded to directx 9 and the catalyst 3 drivers too... what else is left?? a format??

thanks
-dave

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Install AGP drivers for your motherboard, then remove ATI drivers/control panel, restart, then reinstall drivers/control panel. I would reccomend the Cat 3.0's, they have been by far the best driver set for me so far. Plus you'll eventually need DX9 to run future games anyway. I wouldn't reccomend uninstalling DX9, it could totally hose your system. Good luck.

kurt454

May 30, 2001
I have a machine with the original Radeon 64ddr VIVO card. It seems to only run stable with older drivers. 6.13.3286 on Windows XP Pro non SP1

davekaro

Nov 17, 2000
ok,

so i removed the video card drivers, but winxp installs them automatically on restart...but i ran the cat 3 setup again anyways...and this was after in installed the new Hyperion 4in1 drivers from VIA. my question is...is this the AGP driver that i want to install...???

i think i'm gonna have to reformat, and when i do, i want to make sure i install the correct via 4 in 1 drivers, the correct radeon drivers, and the correct directx 9 version. (i'm assuming that would be the Hyperion 4in1's, the cat3 radeon, and dx9...is that right?) thanks for the help.

-dave

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
It sounds like the infinity loop bug (or overheating). Check CPU temps with a program like MBM5. If the computer is running (relatively) cool, then try installing a different driver. You might want to try Direct X 8.1 with the 2.5 Cats or another version.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
You shouldn't need to reformat. You need to delete or rename the default windows xp driver before you uninstall the drivers and restart. I don't know off hand what the name of the file is. You still should be fine, however, using the instructions I posted earlier. The VIA 4 in 1 hypernion drivers should be fine, they're what I'm using now and I haven't had any issues thus far.

As for the famous "infinite loop" bug, as far as I know this bug was fixed in the latest Catalyst driver set.

Good luck, let me know if you need any more help with this. You can always check out the support forums on www.rage3d.com; often ATI staff visit the site and help people resolve issues.