Crash while playing Crysis....

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Ok, so I was running through Crysis again and the whole system crashed in a way I've never seen before.

Yes, I'm OC'd on E6750 to 3.4 (stable for 1 year).
Yes, I'm OC'd on GPU (stable for 1+ month in every game so far except maybe crysis???, but ok in Crysis Warhead)

I'm using a No-DVD crack even though I own the game out right...

Here's what happened... I played for 1.5 hours and got to the first big base just before you shoot the tanks... I quit playing and came back about 7 hours later...

I get to the point where you rescue the scientist chick and WALA, the sound goes off the primarry screen turns black and the secondary monitor turns baby blue.

I can't ctrl-alt-delete or anything. So I hit the reset button... same thing it won't even post it gives me the black & blue screens (no pun intended).

So I turn the system off and unplug the monitors and plug them back in and it works...

I haven't gone into any 3d apps since getting it back up but Vista and the Internet are working fine...

Has anybody seen this? Or does anybody have any ideas as to what it might be?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Run ATI artifact test. Maybe, like BolleY2K said, your card is clocked too high.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
I was thinking it's pushed too hard but for every other game it doesn't even blink, no artifacts checker or lines...

And usually Grid throws my cards OC before Crysis. And then I think about it more it happened during the movie... so it wasn't even during a playing seen... I did delete all the intro videos (logos and all) I wonder if I deleted a video file for this part.... I don't but I will certainly try backing it off.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
An overclock might prove stable in anything but one particular game. Maybe that game is Crysis in your case. I remember my videocard doing 3800 mhz stable in anything on the Vram, but after one hour or so in Brothers in Arms, it gave me a gray screen and a frozen computer.
There are different ways a GPU is stressed by different games and programs and so your oc can work just fine in some and totally fail in others.

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
I was using a highly overclocked HD 3850 and ran every game solid.

Installed Crysis and the video card crashed so hard it corrupted my video driver and I thought my card was fried with artifacts in 2D. Reloaded the video driver, lowered the overclock a few on the core and a bunch on the memory and it ran Crysis just fine, no other problems.

BolleY2K

Mar 18, 2007
I talk out of experience with OCing my 8800 GTS 640. The card did 650/1050 stable for about a month, then started to crash now and then. I clocked it a little bit down and it is running 620/980 now for over a year without problems...