shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Return to Castle Wolfenstein doesnt work in XP with SP3.
Either that or the Steam version is fucked. Is it worth my time to install the disc version and see if it works?

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
Personally I think RTCW was one of the best games of its day both SP and MP.
I'd totally take the time to get it working and play it though I doubt it aged that well.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Return to Castle Wolfenstein doesnt work in XP with SP3.
Either that or the Steam version is fucked. Is it worth my time to install the disc version and see if it works?

I've run the disc version in 98SE, 2000 SP4, XP Pro SP3 and 64-bit W7 Pro (in XP3 Compatibility Mode). The Steam version works in the latter also.

Mabye it's just the combination of the Steam version and native XP SP3?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
That's really strange. I bought RtCW probably about 4 years ago on Steam with the id complete pack, and downloaded and played at least three times when I was using XP.

It always worked fine.

Murdoc

Jan 22, 2011
That's really strange. I bought RtCW probably about 4 years ago on Steam with the id complete pack, and downloaded and played at least three times when I was using XP.

It always worked fine.

I did the same, except I only played it once, but it worked fine for me too.

Feb 4, 2009
This game still has the best flame thrower in single or multiplayer. TF2's pyro is close but not as brutal. I loved getting in bases or bunkers and blast away.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
That guy with 500 games loaded on his PC was always a good resource in this situation. But I can't remember his name. Adam something?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I too have ran the disc version on XP SP2 & SP3 without a problem. Never have tried it via Steam. I haven't tried it with W7 yet.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Stolen from the Steam Forum:

"12-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I have a nvidia card and Vista x86. After poking around for a while yesterday try this; it worked for me (previously could get multiplayer to work, but not single player).

Go into control panel > Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3d Settings

From there turn "extension limit" from off to "on."

Hope this helps someone out there.

Toasterking, you are brilliant! That fixed it for me. I'm sure I had gone through all the settings in NCP, I must have missed that one!

Now I'm off to go shoot a few ♥♥♥♥♥..."

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
shortylickens, I know you're not unfamiliar with having compatibility problems on older games, but do you ever bother to Google these things?

99.9% of the time, there's an easy fix for just about any old(ish) game to run on newer systems. I have a Steam account with probably dozens of older "XP-only games", and there's not a single one I haven't been able to run on Windows 7 without a tiny bit of tweaking.

The fact that it's a service-pack issue makes it seem like something even more fixable. See if there's anyone else who's had the same experience as you first, as there's probably a way to make it run.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The Nvidia control panel trick didnt fix it in XP.
And this is that .1 percent.

Assmunch.

Doesnt matter, I installed it on my office machine with Win7 and it works fine, well except for crashing a lot, but at least it runs.
Doesnt get good frame rates though. Am only using a X1550 which is mostly for HD video, not 3D acceleration.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
The Nvidia control panel trick didnt fix it in XP.
And this is that .1 percent.

Assmunch.

Doesnt matter, I installed it on my office machine with Win7 and it works fine, well except for crashing a lot, but at least it runs.
Doesnt get good frame rates though. Am only using a X1550 which is mostly for HD video, not 3D acceleration.

LOL shortylickens you sound like you got major chocolate chip on your shoulders.

What's up buddy. the Internet is your friend. ;)