Crap! Nexus TMO Tethering no longer FREE!?!

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by GTaudiophile, Nov 9, 2012.

1. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

the point is, the data is already paid for once. just because you take that data and put it in another spot doesnt mean the phone company deserves momey for that. they arent doing anything. its just a pure bullshit fee there to make extra revenue and discourage use of your plan that you already paid for.

and the cable company doesnt charge me to remote vpn into my house, or add another device onto my wireless n network, which is essentially the same thing.

2. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Didn't ISPs try that when broadband was first introduced and it went away very quickly? I have no idea why tethering is still considered special except for the fact that people seem more apathetic and have less issues with corporations running over them these days.

3. pm

pm Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br>Mobile Device
    Super Moderator

It's not a workaround. It's a company that offers free access to the internet.
    http://www.freedompop.com/

And the Photon is a free ($99 deposit) device that gives you access to a tetherable WiFi device using their free tetherable data service.

And to clarify my original point - there was a discussion (as well as a brief mention in this thread) about how to circumvent the carrier's detection algorithm and that's a discussion that I don't think we want to have on here. I don't have any issues with discussing tethering as long as we aren't discussing how to get something someone didn't pay for.

#28 pm, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  4. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

How's that then?

5. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

As far as I know this is correct. With the new share everything plan you can share your LTE connection pretty much unlimited (up to your data cap anyway).

It's only smart to allow tethering anyway since you no longer have everyone on unlimited data and many people are rooting anyway so why fight it when you can potentially get overage fees from people?

#30 cmdrdredd, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  6. Leon

Leon Platinum Member

Change the user agent string or use different browser.

7. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

I want to know as well

Besides the fact that the person may be using upwards of 10gbs downloading stuff