CRAP! JUST bought the GPU, but there's a hicup.

Tek-1

Apr 15, 2010
Hey there techies!

I have purchased all parts in a first time build (reference thread here) and then made the mistake of checking out 1 more forum on the GPU I selected.

I bought a non reference HD 5870 (XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870) after being advised it was a great card.

But then came across this little turd of a thread here stating the non reference cards are crap.
I'm not sure if this is 'Fanboyism' but any comments that might make me feel a little better about my purchase would be GREATLY appreciated.

Did I just make a huge mistake? :\ I wasn't planning on overclocking..

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
(...)
Did I just make a huge mistake? :\ I wasn't planning on overclocking..

You'll be fine. The non-reference board thing is only for people who want to OC heavily, as it doesn't allow for manual voltage regulation.

If anything, $420 is a bit pricey :p

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
If you're not overclocking, I guess it doesn't really matter.

I value overclockability though. Unless I got the crappier non-reference design for cheaper than the ref.design versions, I would feel kinda ripped-off.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
The parts on that card are vastly inferior to the reference version. If your not overclocking the only problem you should see (hear) are the squealing caps. I cannot comment for users with a closed case, but I use an open bench and its annoying as crap.

Some ZDFC 4890s were so bad they performed worse than 4870s for unknown reasons. I doubt your card will be that bad, but XFX really ruined it for me with that revision.