Craigslist ad keeps getting flagged / removed as soon as I post it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
I pretty much gave up on CL for this very same reason. My posts would get flagged and removed within 5-15 minutes. All because scammers flood CL with their own ads while flagging down any ad that is not theirs.

CL is practically useless now.

If that is the case that sucks. I posted in the Pittsburgh section and never have that problem.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: daveymark

I know this happens for a fact. In addition to flagging other ads, used car dealers will post multiple ads for the same car in the same day to drown out other ads. They will use a little different wording so CL doesn't think it's the same ad.

Yes, I can't tell you how many times the same dealer will show up a dozen times in one search with ads for the same car... F off and go pay for some advertisements :|

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: Jeffg010

OMG se7en already explained this you yourself said it you are copying and pasting the add. Change the add. Change the title and see if that helps.

I've done this already, it didn't help.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Note, it takes multiple people flagging to remove a post on CL.

yep, usually it's used car dealers who will do this from multiple IP's

I would suspect this if you see a trend of a lot of private used cars being flagged, but not used car dealer's ads being flagged. It would be interesting to see someone track this as closely as possible to determine who is doing it, then declare holy war on them online.

I know this happens for a fact. In addition to flagging other ads, used car dealers will post multiple ads for the same car in the same day to drown out other ads. They will use a little different wording so CL doesn't think it's the same ad.

Can anything be done against this ( besides going vigilante on them )?

Of course, the ATOT effect.
figure out which dealer is doing it and shutdown their ads by flagging it ATOT style

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Well I also posted in the help forums on CL. In their opinion, they think it's because it's a "feeler" and because the pics were too big (800x600 is too big? lol, ok). So I've corrected both and relisted (since it was removed yet again since the last time I posted) and we'll see if this one fares better.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: geno
Well I also posted in the help forums on CL. In their opinion, they think it's because it's a "feeler" and because the pics were too big (800x600 is too big? lol, ok). So I've corrected both and relisted (since it was removed yet again since the last time I posted) and we'll see if this one fares better.

wth?

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
If your car is priced lower than a used car dealer, they would definitely flag it. Scammy assholes.

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000

People need to flag those.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Can we get the ATOT Effect on this? Just say the word and I'm sure more than a few members would be more than happy to start flagging the dealers' ads like crazy. :)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Tell us who to flag and I'll get my Dee-Dee-Oh-Ess network on it. ;)

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by: geno

Curious, did this one get removed as well?

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: Xanis
Can we get the ATOT Effect on this? Just say the word and I'm sure more than a few members would be more than happy to start flagging the dealers' ads like crazy. :)

Seriously, it sucks because I'm playing by the rules while dealers spam the living fuck out of the FS section to move their shitty overpriced cars.

Anyways. I reposted without pics (I even tried the CL pic upload so the pics were smaller and that got deleted) and that seems to have held off the flagging for some reason... we'll see how it goes.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Maybe because you're much less likely to sell your car without pics. The dealer no longer feels threatened.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
I pretty much gave up on CL for this very same reason. My posts would get flagged and removed within 5-15 minutes. All because scammers flood CL with their own ads while flagging down any ad that is not theirs.

CL is practically useless now.

They are rolling out a software upgrade that puts Capcha in place.

That will stop the Dealers programs.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Look at this, a dealer has their ad for one car up here *5* times :

And that's just in the Boston section, they're spamming NH too :

And that's not all, here are the RI posts for the same damn car :

Lame, they have *23* ads and I was having trouble keeping one up there!

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I flagged all of them and used their email form to tell them to stop spamming Craigslist.. :D

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
How do you search for something on CL across multiple areas? I hate having to look through adds in four or five cities.